Testing a Dialogic board

Old April 2nd 09, 11:07 PM
baltazar13 baltazar13 is offline
Junior Member

Default Testing a Dialogic board

I am very new to all this so please bear with me

I need to test some software which runs on a number of Dialogic boards supporting a number of signalling protocols such as ISDN BRI/PRI, E1/T1, SS7, SIP, etc ...

I intend to get hold of one board for each protocol and test the software, however I am not sure how I can generate calls into the board. If I manage to test at least ISDN & E1/T1 then it will be brilliant.

Here are my questions:

1) is E1/T1 a PRI version of ISDN? if not what are the differences?

2) If i do not have pysical lines to connect my RJ48 cables into the back of my Dialogic boards, would an ISDN PBX do the trick by connecting a cable from its ISDN port to the back of the telephony board? The PBX in question is one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-EzLink...c 0.m14.l1262

I am hoping I could use pots phones connected to the PBX (wich has pots sockets) and dial an ISDN extension which is connected to the Dialogic board.

3) Lastly, what type of cabling is needed to connect the PBX to the board, is it crossover or straight or neither?

Many thanks
Old April 3rd 09, 05:45 AM posted to comp.dcom.isdn
Doug McIntyre

baltazar13 writes:
I am very new to all this so please bear with me
I need to test some software which runs on a number of Dialogic boards
supporting a number of signalling protocols such as ISDN BRI/PRI,
E1/T1, SS7, SIP, etc ...
I intend to get hold of one board for each protocol and test the
software, however I am not sure how I can generate calls into the
board. If I manage to test at least ISDN & E1/T1 then it will be
brilliant.

Most likely, your best test would be an interopability test with
existing telco that you are hoping to hook up to? Granted, a PRI might
be a bit much to swing just to test with, but maybe you have a phone
system with PRI that you can test with in off hours? A BRI is probably
within the realm of getting one to test with for awhile, and does most
of the basics of PRI.

Another option might be something telco gear that can produce and dial
alot of these things? Like a used Adtran Atlas with appropriate
interface cards for what you want to do? You can convert FXS to PRI,
BRI, FXO, etc through its dial plan.

Here are my questions:
1) is E1/T1 a PRI version of ISDN? if not what are the differences?

A PRI is an ISDN line carried over an E1 or T1 trunk. E1/T1 on its own
generally defines other signalling through, and there are a whole slew
of standards and formats devoted to T1 or E1 signalling. Ie. google
'T1 CAS signaling'

2) If i do not have pysical lines to connect my RJ48 cables into the
back of my Dialogic boards, would an ISDN PBX do the trick by
connecting a cable from its ISDN port to the back of the telephony
board? The PBX in question is one from ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cuuwbe

I couldn't tell you what this PBX would do. My PBX at the office
specificly has BRI boards in it that I can take BRIs off the PRI and
deliver internally. But its quite a bit bigger than this.

Lookup Adtran Atlas on eBay. You'll need interface cards in it for
what you want to do. It'll be an ISDN switch, and can taken many kinds
of lines input, and put out a huge array of different outputs
depending on what cards you put into it.

I am hoping I could use pots phones connected to the PBX (wich has pots
sockets) and dial an ISDN extension which is connected to the Dialogic
board.

Don't know.

3) Lastly, what type of cabling is needed to connect the PBX to the
board, is it crossover or straight or neither?

Usually, PBX's are wired up to provide a standard interface to the CPE
to be what it is expecting. Again, it depends on what this box
actually does. The Atlas OOTH is telco'ish, which means that it
expects the telco to wire it properly to provide the standard handoff
to the CPE. That usually involves cross-over T1 cabling.