1 Mb download speeds.

Old March 15th 12, 08:53 PM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Ant[_4_]

Default 1 Mb download speeds.

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1
Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to CO
but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Possibly, but its more likely they put a remote into your area with
fiber back to the CO.

But as Bert says, 1mb is SLOW DSL. Perhaps the fiber to the CO is
already overloaded. SHOULD be cheaper than usual DSL.

1mb is Verizon's bottom-tier DSL. It's not necessarily an issue of
overload or distance from the CO; they offer 6mb standard service over the
same lines. I set this up for my elderly mom as an upgrade from dial-up
AOL. For her it's a tremendous increment in reliability and the speed is
adequate for her ... at less monthly cost than AOL dialup.

So how come it was 1 Mb/sec or no DSL service for me? Also, no FIOS
but that is not related to phone lines.
--
Quote of the Week: "We have to break with what must be broken with once
and for all... and we have to take the suffering upon ourselves...
Old April 17th 12, 04:46 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl,comp.dcom.adsl,alt.internet.providers.usa.dsl,0.verizon.adsl,alt.online-service.verizon
Ant[_5_]

Default Verizon's DSL or not in my upcoming home area?

Weird. Lately, Verizon's web site and its online chat said no DSL (and
FIOS) services in my new upcoming area lately. A few months ago, its DSL
service was available for lowly 1 Mb/sec speed.

Here's something weird. On the phone box, I see "DSL" on it. What is
that? This is confusing.
--
"I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find
tractors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright
Old April 23rd 12, 07:46 PM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl,comp.dcom.adsl,alt.internet.providers.usa.dsl,0.verizon.adsl,alt.online-service.verizon
Ant[_4_]

Updates: It was confirmed by a Verizon phone call this morning. No DSL
and FIOS for this house. Also, the previous house owner said he used to
have slow Verizon DSL and three phone landlines. I guess that is why it
says "DSL" on it. It is strange/odd that Verizon won't give us, the new
home owner/familay, DSL!

In comp.dcom.xdsl Ant wrote:
Weird. Lately, Verizon's web site and its online chat said no DSL (and
FIOS) services in my new upcoming area lately. A few months ago, its DSL
service was available for lowly 1 Mb/sec speed.

Here's something weird. On the phone box, I see "DSL" on it. What is
that? This is confusing.

--
Quote of the Week: "Although you're a little ant, I won't bully you."
--Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles)