1 Mb download speeds.

Old February 4th 12, 01:00 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Ant[_4_]

Default 1 Mb download speeds.

Hi.

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1
Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to CO
but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "Left right left right we're army ants. We swarm we
fight. We have no home. We roam. We race. You're lucky if we miss your
Old February 4th 12, 01:51 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Ant wrote:
Hi.

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1
Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to CO
but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Possibly, but its more likely they put a remote into your area with
fiber back to the CO.

But as Bert says, 1mb is SLOW DSL. Perhaps the fiber to the CO is
already overloaded. SHOULD be cheaper than usual DSL.

--
Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097
Canines: Val, Red, Shasta, Zero & Casey (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L
Old February 5th 12, 07:39 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Ant[_4_]

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1
Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to
CO but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Thank you in advance.

They've probably decided to offer you this low performance service just
so they can claim an increase in service area.

Are they at least offering you this bad service at a good discount over
their normal product?

I think it was about 30 bucks per month with contract. This is with
Verizon when I was checking for FIOS services (still nothing), but it
did offer me DSL. Now, weird! It tells me: "We???re sorry, currently your
location does not qualify for Internet service..." I just remembered
something. I noticed Verizon doesn't send me their HSI services lately
through its snail mail marketings. Verizon is confusing! :/

What the heck? Oh well, back to the original situation with distance
since the early 2000s (when GTE was still around).

Is it true that Verizon is not deploying more FIOS service?
Old February 5th 12, 07:41 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Ant[_4_]

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1
Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to CO
but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Possibly, but its more likely they put a remote into your area with
fiber back to the CO.

Is there a way to check that?

But as Bert says, 1mb is SLOW DSL. Perhaps the fiber to the CO is
already overloaded. SHOULD be cheaper than usual DSL.

It is still better than dial-up at 3 kB/sec (already compressed) that
rarely goes faster than 28.8k on 33.6k and 56k dial-up modems. Also,
lots of line noises according to my old modem's statistics and external
lights.
Old March 12th 12, 10:54 PM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
[email protected]

Ant writes:

I think it was about 30 bucks per month with contract. This is with
Verizon when I was checking for FIOS services (still nothing), but it
did offer me DSL. Now, weird! It tells me: "We're sorry, currently your
location does not qualify for Internet service..." I just remembered
something. I noticed Verizon doesn't send me their HSI services lately
through its snail mail marketings. Verizon is confusing! :/

There may be some reason your place in particular can't get DSL (for
example, your line might be multiplexed with one or more others). It
may be possible to get that switched to a cable pair with only you on
it, after which DSL service could be provided. I went though this in
helping a friend get DSL. I had to call Verizon several times, until
I got someone who knew how the phone service was provisioned, and how
to change it to accomodate DSL. You might want to give that a try...

Is it true that Verizon is not deploying more FIOS service?

That's what I've heard...

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
Old March 13th 12, 01:34 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Ant[_4_]

[...]

Did your friend have low speeds?

Is it true that Verizon is not deploying more FIOS service?

That's what I've heard...

--
Quote of the Week: "We have to break with what must be broken with once
and for all... and we have to take the suffering upon ourselves...
Old March 14th 12, 02:05 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
Mike S.[_2_]

In article ,
Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Ant wrote:
Hi.

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1
Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to CO
but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Possibly, but its more likely they put a remote into your area with
fiber back to the CO.

But as Bert says, 1mb is SLOW DSL. Perhaps the fiber to the CO is
already overloaded. SHOULD be cheaper than usual DSL.

1mb is Verizon's bottom-tier DSL. It's not necessarily an issue of
overload or distance from the CO; they offer 6mb standard service over the
same lines. I set this up for my elderly mom as an upgrade from dial-up
AOL. For her it's a tremendous increment in reliability and the speed is
adequate for her ... at less monthly cost than AOL dialup.

Old March 15th 12, 02:44 AM posted to comp.dcom.xdsl
[email protected]

Ant writes:

Did your friend have low speeds?

Prior to my helping her, she was dial-up service.
She now has 3mbps DSL, which runs at about 2.5mbps.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer