plusnet refusing to send emails

Old October 11th 17, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris

Default plusnet refusing to send emails

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.
Old October 11th 17, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris wrote:

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

The IP address you are sending from is probably temporarily blocked. If
you have a dynamic IP make a note of it, drop the connection and
re-establish it - you may then be able to send. Otherwise send from a
different email account - one that does not use the Plusnet mail server.
A gmail account or similar is useful in such circumstances.

--
Graham J

Old October 12th 17, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 11/10/2017 11:25, Chris wrote:

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

Can you send a short test message to the same destination ?

Check for any URLs lurking inside the email.

Failing that reboot the router to get a different IP address.

I have seen various combinations of emails sent via different ISPs that
although genuine look like forgeries and get blocked by over zealous
corporate antispam filters - the most annoying of which just drop stuff
they don't like on the floor with no warning and not into a spam trap.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 12th 17, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark[_7_]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 15:49:00 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

Chris wrote:

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

The IP address you are sending from is probably temporarily blocked. If
you have a dynamic IP make a note of it, drop the connection and
re-establish it - you may then be able to send.

Another good reason to get a static IP address.

Old October 12th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

wrote:

Chris wrote:

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

The IP address you are sending from is probably temporarily blocked. If
you have a dynamic IP make a note of it, drop the connection and
re-establish it - you may then be able to send.

Another good reason to get a static IP address.

It is more of an argument in favour of a dynamic one if as seems likely
his existing IP has been blocked for something he or his machine has
been doing. Phantom virus or spam errors do crop up from time to time
and the only way to figure out why is binary chop the offending msg down
to locate that part which is causing the problem.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 12th 17, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 11/10/2017 11:25, Chris wrote:
Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

It's probably the recipient address or something in the body of the
email that's matching a spam fingerprint. Typically a URL, email address
or embedded image.

I can probably correct the false positive for you but would need a copy
of the email content. If you don't mind sharing it, then feel free to
drop me a private message over on our Community forums -
https://community.plus.net/t5/notes/...-to-user-id/14

Old October 12th 17, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark[_7_]

wrote:

Chris wrote:

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

The IP address you are sending from is probably temporarily blocked. If
you have a dynamic IP make a note of it, drop the connection and
re-establish it - you may then be able to send.

Another good reason to get a static IP address.

It is more of an argument in favour of a dynamic one if as seems likely
his existing IP has been blocked for something he or his machine has
been doing.

I disagree. With a dynamic IP address someone could be blocked for
something someone else is doing. However, with a static IP address
being blocked for something their machine is doing would be useful and
it could inform them they need to take action.

Old October 12th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Streater[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on October 26, 2017.

wrote:

Chris wrote:

Anyone else had this? I'm trying to send a reply to a long threaded email,
but it is being blocked due to 'virus or spam'. It is neither.

The IP address you are sending from is probably temporarily blocked. If
you have a dynamic IP make a note of it, drop the connection and
re-establish it - you may then be able to send.

Another good reason to get a static IP address.

It is more of an argument in favour of a dynamic one if as seems likely
his existing IP has been blocked for something he or his machine has
been doing.

I disagree. With a dynamic IP address someone could be blocked for
something someone else is doing. However, with a static IP address
being blocked for something their machine is doing would be useful and
it could inform them they need to take action.

Some of these ****ers (spamhaus? Can't remember) block you *because*
you have a dynamic address, even if you're not hosting a server at
home. That is, if you're using a hosting company to run a mail server
for your domain, but at home you have a dynamic IP address because
you're just an ordinary user of the internet, they block you.

--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk