TomTom XL add Compass function

Old March 10th 13, 09:53 AM posted to alt.satellite.gps,alt.satellite.gps.tomtom,alt.satellite.internet,dk.teknik.satellit.navigation
Joris 3 Pinter

Default TomTom XL add Compass function

I have somehow managed to tweak the TomTom XL so you can see the height in
meters (via a download that I can not remember ...). As an altimeter can be
added then it must also be possible to add a compass? A compass that shows
where your destination is and how many km that is, as the crow flies. Does
anyone know a site with a Compass function for TomTom XL?

Joris.

Old March 10th 13, 09:46 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,alt.satellite.gps.tomtom,alt.satellite.internet,dk.teknik.satellit.navigation
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 10/03/2013 08:53, Joris 3 Pinter wrote:
I have somehow managed to tweak the TomTom XL so you can see the height
in meters (via a download that I can not remember ...). As an altimeter
can be added then it must also be possible to add a compass? A compass
that shows where your destination is and how many km that is, as the
crow flies. Does anyone know a site with a Compass function for TomTom XL?

Joris.

Haven't you almost got that with the standard software? My very old
TomTom GO Classic has a little pointer at bottom left which shows the
distance to destination and the direction relative to the current
direction of travel (I think).
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 11th 13, 03:04 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,alt.satellite.gps.tomtom,alt.satellite.internet,dk.teknik.satellit.navigation
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 10/03/2013 21:04, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:46:20 +0000, Roger
wrote:

On 10/03/2013 08:53, Joris 3 Pinter wrote:
I have somehow managed to tweak the TomTom XL so you can see the height
in meters (via a download that I can not remember ...). As an altimeter
can be added then it must also be possible to add a compass? A compass
that shows where your destination is and how many km that is, as the
crow flies. Does anyone know a site with a Compass function for TomTom XL?

Joris.

Haven't you almost got that with the standard software? My very old
TomTom GO Classic has a little pointer at bottom left which shows the
distance to destination and the direction relative to the current
direction of travel (I think).

The distance displayed by your TomTom would be along the route journey. The
OP wants to determine the true point-to-point distance (as the crow flies).

No it isn't! It's the straight line distance. For instance, when I start
out on one journey which I undertake frequently, it reports the
destination as being 97.3 miles away, whereas the route distance is 125
miles.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 11th 13, 09:35 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,alt.satellite.gps.tomtom,alt.satellite.internet,dk.teknik.satellit.navigation
Joris 3 Pinter

"Roger Mills" schreef in bericht
wrote:

[...]

TomTom support says they deliberately removed the Compass functionality
since customers-research revealed that people were not interested. On the
internet one can read many complains about the removal but TomTom has a
different opinion. I would say: what's wrong with a Compass when one can
manually turn it off if not interested...
Joris.

Old March 12th 13, 11:15 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,alt.satellite.gps.tomtom,alt.satellite.internet,dk.teknik.satellit.navigation
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 11/03/2013 20:35, Joris 3 Pinter wrote:

TomTom support says they deliberately removed the Compass functionality
since customers-research revealed that people were not interested. On
the internet one can read many complains about the removal but TomTom
has a different opinion. I would say: what's wrong with a Compass when
one can manually turn it off if not interested...
Joris.

Well, I've still got it - but I haven't updated the software for quite
some time!
--
Cheers,
Roger