Has satellite Internet services improved in terms of latencies andspeeds?

Old December 23rd 11, 07:02 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Ant[_5_]

Default Has satellite Internet services improved in terms of latencies andspeeds?

Or are they still crappy?
--
"We may have no malevolent intentions toward an ant heap, but if we want
to build a house on the same site..." --Rendezvous With Rama
Old January 4th 12, 09:00 PM posted to alt.satellite.internet
David Spain

Ant wrote:
Or are they still crappy?

Don't expect latencies to improve until they invent sub-space satellite.

Dave
Old January 4th 12, 09:54 PM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Ant[_6_]

On Jan 4, 12:00*pm, David Spain wrote:
Ant wrote:
Or are they still crappy?

Don't expect latencies to improve until they invent sub-space satellite.

Dave

Are there any plans for those to happen soon?

Old January 12th 12, 01:06 PM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Ant[_5_]

On 1/10/2012 8:57 PM PT, David Spain typed:

Or are they still crappy?
Don't expect latencies to improve until they invent sub-space satellite.

Are there any plans for those to happen soon?

No

Darn. I wonder why satellite technologies aren't faster in improvements.
--
"After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old January 14th 12, 11:02 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Chris[_11_]

Ant wrote:
Or are they still crappy?
Don't expect latencies to improve until they invent sub-space

satellite.

Dave

Are there any plans for those to happen soon?

No

Isn't that what O3b Networks will do ?
http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3b-advantage
Still a while to go before they launch though

Chris

Old February 10th 12, 06:12 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:02:00 -0800, Ant wrote:

Or are they still crappy?

I don't know about the rest of them but, HughesNet sucks.

Expect no better than 500 KB -- that's right, no better than 0.5 MB,
or, 500 KB down, 100 KB or so up.

And the 500KB down was the best I ever saw.

HughesNet sucks
Old February 10th 12, 06:13 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:12:16 -0500, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:02:00 -0800, Ant wrote:

Or are they still crappy?

I don't know about the rest of them but, HughesNet sucks.

Expect no better than 500 KB -- that's right, no better than 0.5 MB,
or, 500 KB down, 100 KB or so up.

And the 500KB down was the best I ever saw.

HughesNet sucks

And their tech support is nothing but wogs and ragheads in Bombay
reading scripts.

Did I mention that HughesNet sucks?
Old April 26th 12, 03:39 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
johnr

On 12/22/2011 10:02 PM, Ant wrote:
Or are they still crappy?

Latency is a function of physics. The radio signal travels up to the
satellite, then back down at the speed of light (C). You may reduce
this time by reducing the distance. Might I suggest: Move to Columbia.
Geostationary orbits must exist on the equatorial plane. Unfortunately
there are no geostationary orbiting satellites hovering over the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Understand and accept the facts of latency life. If your use of the net
requires minimal latency, satellite access is not for you.

Exede at 50/mo for 12Mbps of speed and 7.5GB of throughput works for me
because I am outside of the DSL distance from the Telco Central Office
(19,000 feet in my case).

John Sowden
American Sentry Systems, Inc.

Old April 26th 12, 10:39 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
Ant[_5_]

On 4/25/2012 6:39 PM PT, johnr typed:

Exede at 50/mo for 12Mbps of speed and 7.5GB of throughput works for me
because I am outside of the DSL distance from the Telco Central Office
(19,000 feet in my case).

Same here, but 20K ft. or so assuming this estimate is correct on
DSL/Broadband Reports' web site from long ago (a bit late, aren't we?).
Bummer this one still has caps (125 GB at most). Also, I get nothing for
its dealer results after entering the zip codes. So, I guess no services.
--
"It is said that the lonely eagle flies to the mountain peaks while the
lowly ant crawls the ground, but cannot the soul of the ant soar as high