Satellite Internet better than dialup?

Old March 21st 08, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.satellite.internet
John Doe[_2_]

Default Satellite Internet better than dialup?

class_a wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
John Doe wrote:

So satellite Internet is still not good for latency critical
applications like gaming.
Unless you can Change the Laws of Physics, Latency will ALWAYS
be an issue in Sat Based IP Links.........

Are you saying that the latency problem for gaming is only a
result of the distance bouncing off of a satellite?

Yes, a geostationary satellite sits at approx 22250 miles out in
space,

That was the clue I needed. Thanks.

for a round trip of 44500 miles. That alone accounts for 239ms of
latency before you add the additional latency of the follow-on
networks etc.

Old March 29th 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.satellite.internet
Larry Caldwell

In article ,
(class_a) says...
John Doe wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
John Doe wrote:

So satellite Internet is still not good for latency critical
applications like gaming.
Unless you can Change the Laws of Physics, Latency will ALWAYS
be an issue in Sat Based IP Links.........

Are you saying that the latency problem for gaming is only a result
of the distance bouncing off of a satellite?

Yes, a geostationary satellite sits at approx 22250 miles out in space,
for a round trip of 44500 miles. That alone accounts for 239ms of
latency before you add the additional latency of the follow-on networks etc.

That's only a one way trip. The response coming back adds another 239
ms. Typical ping times are over half a second, dictated by the speed of
light. Depending on graphic content and handshaking required, web pages
may not load much faster over a satellite internet connection than they
do over dialup. OTOH, streaming video, downloads, etc. proceed at
whatever bandwidth you are paying for.

For extremely rural customers, satellite internet is the only broadband
available. I have been a WildBlue customer for a couple of years, and
have been pretty satisfied. The satellite let me use a wireless router,
so my wife and I no longer have to schedule online times. The $50/month
cost of a 512k connection let me drop a $17 a month extra phone line and
a $20 a month ISP, so it's not that much more expensive than dialup.
Equipment and installation was $200, but that's already amortizing out
at less than $10 a month.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Old August 30th 10, 10:44 AM
carolyny476 carolyny476 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul[_10_] View Post
geoff wrote:
Hello,

Back when tech tv was worth watching, they covered this issue pretty
thoroughly. Satellite requires a phone line because sending of data would
have to go from your dish to the satellite and back to earth again, a
process that would be incredibly slow.

--g

I found an example advert here.

http://www.skycasters.com/broadband-...e/compare.html

The upload/download is too high, to be provided by a phone line.
So that one appears to be bidirectional.

For the cheapest service offered, I don't know if I like a cap of
1GB. I'd need a piece of software on the computers or router,
keeping track of bytes, with such a small cap.

Paul
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.