Motorola SB5101 Firmware Locks Up

Old December 16th 05, 02:32 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

Default Motorola SB5101 Firmware Locks Up

Anyone know if firmware version

I'm on my second Motorola SB5101 modem (Comcast rental) in two days.
Both keep dropping signal every 30 - 60 minutes.

Here's the firmware from the modem's status page:

Software Version: SB5101-2.4.1.1-SCM14-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0

I posted this on dslreports, and one reply said this version is known for
locking up. I'm beginning to believe it.

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks.

Old December 16th 05, 04:00 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

the number below will give you a read out of the modems
connection status. Get back with the numbers.

http://192.168.100.1/

7.136...

Old December 16th 05, 04:10 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

most of the time when a cable modem locks up it is on the ISP end.
It could be an overloaded node comcast is good for that.
They could be doing some serious work on the server and they don't tell you,
they are great for that. If you are running a splitter that could be causing
problems.
Some TV's cause interference with a cable modem on a splitter, mostly older
ones.
Yea and last but not least it could be the modem but I doubt it. I have help
setup
many cable modems and I have only seen one bad modem and it would not even
turn on.
7.136...

Old December 16th 05, 06:56 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

"Bob H" wrote in message
As I suggested in a previous post, ask if they have the Ambit modem available
(we have our choice in WA.), I am quite pleased with mine.....

Not here in Tacoma we don't. At least not the last time I checked.

7.136...

Old December 16th 05, 07:28 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

I stand corrected then. I was just down there a couple months ago to get my Sis
signed up and they didn't have them then. Same store too.

Doesn't your local Comcast store have modems?

. ..

"Bob H" wrote in message
As I suggested in a previous post, ask if they have the Ambit modem
available (we have our choice in WA.), I am quite pleased with mine.....

Not here in Tacoma we don't. At least not the last time I checked.

7.136...

Old December 17th 05, 05:07 AM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

"Bob H" wrote in
:

As I suggested in a previous post, ask if they have the Ambit modem
available (we have our choice in WA.), I am quite pleased with
mine.....

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
Anyone know if firmware version

I'm on my second Motorola SB5101 modem (Comcast rental) in two days.
Both keep dropping signal every 30 - 60 minutes.

Here's the firmware from the modem's status page:

Software Version: SB5101-2.4.1.1-SCM14-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0

I posted this on dslreports, and one reply said this version is known
for locking up. I'm beginning to believe it.

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks.

My Comcast store only offers the Motorola SB5101.

Bruce
Old December 17th 05, 05:19 AM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable

"BigJIm" wrote in
:

the number below will give you a read out of the modems
connection status. Get back with the numbers.

http://192.168.100.1/

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
Anyone know if firmware version

I'm on my second Motorola SB5101 modem (Comcast rental) in two days.
Both keep dropping signal every 30 - 60 minutes.

Here's the firmware from the modem's status page:

Software Version: SB5101-2.4.1.1-SCM14-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0

I posted this on dslreports, and one reply said this version is known
for locking up. I'm beginning to believe it.

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks.

Jim,

Here's the post I put up on dslreports, on the Comcast HSI forum:

Begin post
------------------------
This is my second Motorola SB5101 modem in 24 hours, and I keep loosing
connection every 15 to 30 minutes. All lights stay solid green,
including the online light, but only a power-cycle will get me back
online. I will try to describe the problem and sequence of events as
accurately as possible. If you stay with me to the end, thank you very
much.

I live in San Carlos, CA, 94070. This is in the San Francisco Bay Area,
about 20 miles south of San Francisco, and 20 miles north of San Jose
(Silicon Valley area). I'm running Windows XP Home, SP2, always updated.
No hubs or routers. No malware present.

My IP has remained unchanged for as long as I can remember, and is still
the same. My current DHCP lease was obtained Wed. Dec. 14, 2005, 6:18:48
PM, the same time I placed my current modem, a new Motorola SB5101 in
service, and the lease expires Sun. Dec. 18, 2005, 6:18:48 PM.

I have been using a Comcast rental RCA 245 modem for about three years.
It's been running rock solid, giving me about 4mbps. As of December
14th, I no longer have the RCA, but I remember this:

RCA 245 (consistently about 4mbps down, about 350kbps up)
Down: 705.003mHz
S/N 35.2dB
Power: -7.5dBmv
Up: 24mHz
Power: 32dBmv

December 13th:
I began having speed problems immediately after I power-cycled my RCA 245
modem to get the upgraded 6 mbps speed, the evening of December 13. I
did several speed tests on my RCA, and they were all around 500kbps (yes,
kbps). Pings to comcast.net, yahoo.com, etc. were about 300ms. The
other stats shown above were unchanged. I called Comcast and they
verified high pings, but said all other modem indicators were fine. They
did verify that the config file would allow me to receive 6mbps, so they
pushed me another modem config file. Still, speeds were 500kbps. After
further research, Comcast said that the San Mateo County upgrade was not
completed, but they could not configure me back to 4mbps. I'd have to
wait until the upgrade was completed. Point to remember: I retired for
the night, and when I got up, the RCA 245 was STILL connected to the
internet just fine.

December 14th:
I did some reading on the forums and posted my problem. Some replies
said that the RCA 245 could not handle the new 6mbps, it was not DOCSIS
2, and to swap it for a newer modem. One replier said their RCA 245 was
capable of the higher speeds. He was from a different area of the
country, so he may have had different firmware. I can only speculate.
I looked at my original RCA 245 manual, and it was not specific about
DOCSIS. It only said it was DOCSIS compliant, and could receive up to
7mbps (perhaps with updated firmware?). A google search found a site
that (once?) distributed the RCA 245 and some press releases on it from
some time in the past, which also were not definitive. The RCA 245 was
on the list of Comcast's approved modems, but that list may not have been
updated for the new, higher speeds. I couldn't find anything specific,
so I called Comcast and they told me to go to their walk-in location and
swap the RCA 245 out for a newer modem. I did that on the evening of
December 14th. I was given a Motorola SB5101.

That evening, I called Comcast to register the SB5101's MAC. I was up in
about five minutes. Receive, send, and online lights were solid green.
Pings were around 50ms. I did a Speakeasy speed test and got 7.399
mbps/354kbps. I figured that too high on the download speed, but I'd
never achieved that, and I thought that at least the new SB5101 had
solved my speed problems.

Within the hour, I could not reach the internet, but all lights on the
SB5101 were still solid green. I power-cycled, which re-connected me to
the internet, and called Comcast. They checked my MAC and pushed me
another config file. They were not aware of any problems in San Mateo
County, and said the upgrade was complet.

Within the next hour, I couldn't reach the internet again, but again, all
lights on the SB5101 were solid green. This time, while still offline,
with all lights solid green, I tried to bring up the SB5101's home page
(192.168.100.1), but it would not appear. I got the ubiquitous "The page
cannot be displayed" message. The orange pc/activity light was solid,
and blinked once in a while.

I power-cycled and was back online. I went to the SB5101's home page and
saw this:

Downstream
Frequency 705000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 27.8 dB (RCA was 35.2)
Power Level -5.5 dBmV (RCA was -7.5)

Upstream
Channel ID 4
Frequency 24800000 Hz
Power 34.0 dBmV (RCA was 32)

I called it a night, and decided I'd call Comcast about the low S/N in
the morning. Perhaps this could be a clue.

December 15th (today):
When I got up, my internet connection was gone again. I expected this.
It probably happened within an hour after I power-cycled, above. I
called Comcast about the low S/N. They verified from their end that my
S/N was in their 'yellow' (low) zone, and said it could be a faulty modem
out of the box, suggested I get a second one, and call them back to set
it up. They also scheduled a truck roll for Saturday, December 17th,
between 8 AM and noon.

In the evening, I picked up a second Motorola SB5101, called Comcast to
register the MAC, etc., and I was online in about ten minutes. I told
them the connection history, and they said to call back if it went down
with this second modem. Within 25 minutes, I was not able to connect to
the internet. I have the very same symptoms: all lights still solid
green, including the online light, the orange pc/activity light is on
solid, but blinks once in a while. (When I'm connected, the orange light
blinks normally with activity).

I called Comcast, and they went over everything I had done from day one.
They then checked their logs and told me there were two other customers
having (unspecified) problems about a block or so from here. Comcast
didn't know what kind of problems they were having, but suggested it may
be the same. Who knows. Comcast marked on the CSR truck roll work order
all that I had done, the symptoms of my connection, and that there were
two other customers in the area experiencing problems. They told me to
be sure that the CSR reviewed all these notes, and if he wasn't able to
fix the problem, to be sure it is escalated.

Here's the information the SB5101 reports. By they way, the log file,
even after power-cycling at least five times, hasn't changed since I
first connected this modem to the internet on 2005-12-15, 18:28:12, about
10 minutes after I obtained my current DHCP lease.

Here's the Log file:
Time Priority Code Description
1970-01-01 00:00:11 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field
invalid in response.
2005-12-15 18:28:12 6-Notice I401.0 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
1970-01-01 00:01:34 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field
invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:01:30 3-Critical D001.0 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no
offer received
1970-01-01 00:01:21 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3
time-out
1970-01-01 00:01:15 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:01:14 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:01:13 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:01:00 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:59 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:55 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:55 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:54 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:54 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:52 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:52 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:43 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:43 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:41 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:41 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:28 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:27 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:25 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:25 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 00:00:17 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 00:00:17 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
- Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

Here's the Status page:
Acquire Downstream Channel Done
Obtain Upstream Parameters Done
Upstream Ranging Done
Establish IP Connection Using DHCP Done
Establish Time of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters Through TFTP Done
Register Connection Done
Cable Modem Status Operational
Initialize Baseline Privacy Done

Here's the Signal page:
Downstream Value
Frequency 705000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 27.3 dB
Power Level -5.6 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this
page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 24800000 Hz
Power 34.3 dBmV

Here's the Configuration page:
Item Value
Frequency Plan North American Standard/HRC/IRC
Upstream Channel ID 4
Frequency (Hz) 705000000
DHCP Server Enabled

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will
remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior
initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default
condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable
modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

Here's a tracert when I'm able:
C:\tracert www.comcast.net

Tracing route to www.comcast.net [204.127.195.15]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 9 ms 11 ms 14 ms 68.87.198.21
3 9 ms 10 ms 42 ms 68.87.192.13
4 8 ms 11 ms 9 ms 68.87.192.1
5 9 ms 9 ms 26 ms 68.87.192.6
6 10 ms 9 ms 11 ms 68.87.195.62
7 26 ms 9 ms 10 ms 12.117.240.5
8 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms tbr2032701.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.82.2]
9 15 ms 12 ms 26 ms 12.123.13.178
10 10 ms 10 ms 11 ms idf22-gsr12-1-pos-7-0.rwc1.attens.net
[12.122.25
5.218]
11 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms rwcsbix12-3-1.attbi.com [63.241.85.242]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 21 ms 18 ms 19 ms www.comcast.net [204.127.195.15]

Trace complete.

Here's a ping when I'm able:
C:\ping www.comcast.net

Pinging www.comcast.net [204.127.195.15] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 204.127.195.15:

C:\

I have been writing this note in notepad, since I can't keep my browser
online for more than 30 minutes at a time. (I've lost connection 4 times
in the last two hours.) I will copy and paste this to a forum window.
My apologies if any formatting is lost.

Any thoughts on any of this are welcome.

Thank you very much.

-----------------------
End copy of post on dslreports

I have some more information. My neighbor, two house down, has Comcast
HSI. I was just there, and his connection, using a Motorola SB3100
issued to him by Comcast years ago, is running at 4mbps just fine. In my
area, cable splits for TV and HSI are done in fours. A trunk line runs
up our street, which splits to his house. I'm not on the same split, but
the trunk then runs another 50 feet or so, and then feeds another four
homes, one of which is mine.

I just did a release/renew, and where before I had a four day lease, I
now have a ONE HOUR lease. My modem lost connection in 12 minutes. I
power-cycled, did another release/renew, and got a four day lease. Very
strange to me.

Bruce