Has satellite Internet services improved in terms of latencies andspeeds?

Old April 30th 12, 04:13 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet
johnr

Default Has satellite Internet services improved in terms of latenciesand speeds?

On 04/26/2012 01:39 AM, Ant wrote:
On 4/25/2012 6:39 PM PT, johnr typed:

Exede at 50/mo for 12Mbps of speed and 7.5GB of throughput works for me
because I am outside of the DSL distance from the Telco Central Office
(19,000 feet in my case).

Same here, but 20K ft. or so assuming this estimate is correct on
DSL/Broadband Reports' web site from long ago (a bit late, aren't we?).
Bummer this one still has caps (125 GB at most). Also, I get nothing for
its dealer results after entering the zip codes. So, I guess no
services.

I don't know where your geographic area is, but just because a dealer
did not show up in a search does not mean the service is not available.
you can go direct. I am in the SF Bay Area. My "dealer" whom I never
was in contact with), is is Florida. The company who I bought the
service from (a sales agent for the dealer) is is Oklahoma. The
installing contractor (who I DID communicate with) is is Sacramento, CA.
The actual installer (an independent contractor) drove up from San
Jose to the the install. I get the bill from Wild Blue (a sales name
for Exede) in Carlsbad, CA. Unfortunately, this method of business is
designed to block responsibility. You also loose control (as in
Quality) by this method, but this does not seem to be important. I own
a company that installs security systems. My industry is the same for
the "mass marketers. I only hire/train/supervise technical employees,
so I can provide a quality service.
As we say when programming in Foxpro/DOS, "set soapbox off".

Due to the limitation that a geostationary orbit must be on the
equatorial plane, there is a limit of how far north or south from the
equator that you can go. The farther away, the lower the "beam" gets to
the surface of the earth. There is a point at which convection currents
from the earth's surface interfere with the data transmission. I
believe that, latitude wise, you are ok from Oregon, south.