yahoo down again

Old January 5th 18, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_6_]

Default yahoo down again

wonder what they lost this time?
Old January 5th 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not want
to fund it.

--
Graham J

Old January 5th 18, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_6_]

On 05/01/2018 14:33, Graham J wrote:
critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not want
to fund it.

I suppose if you are needing emails for an important contact or business
then a paid for account is worth having.
I tend to use multiple free accounts, which are not always reliable.
Old January 5th 18, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson

Graham J wrote:

critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not want
to fund it.

Google is solid as a rock - never failed in all the time I've had my
accounts running.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
Old January 5th 18, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_]

critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not want
to fund it.

Protonmail.com
Currently web/mobile only and 500MB storage space but that should be
ample. Also not spied and pried on to feed adverts to you like gmail etc
etc.

Old January 5th 18, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_]

On 05/01/2018 15:35, Bob Henson wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Google is solid as a rock - never failed in all the time I've had my
accounts running.

If you don't mind sharing absolutely everything with a corporation and
anyone they chose to sell data to.

An "inexpert" user might accidentally share very sensitive data by open
text e-mail.

Old January 5th 18, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not
want to fund it.

Protonmail.com
Currently web/mobile only and 500MB storage space but that should be
ample. Also not spied and pried on to feed adverts to you like gmail
etc.

User really needs IMAP since broaband round here is awful. Anything
web-only takes far too long to review mail held only on a remote server.
At least a local cache in the mail client helps this.

--
Graham J

Old January 5th 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson

Graham J wrote:

Google is solid as a rock - never failed in all the time I've had my
accounts running.

If you don't mind sharing absolutely everything with a corporation and
anyone they chose to sell data to.

And you think they don't all do that? No-one can be relied on in that
regard,

An "inexpert" user might accidentally share very sensitive data by open
text e-mail.

The same applies to any service provider.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Did you hear about the cow that liked jazz? It mooed indigo.
Old January 5th 18, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 5 January 2018 15:35:51 UTC, Bob Henson wrote:
Graham J wrote:

critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not want
to fund it.

Google is solid as a rock - never failed in all the time I've had my
accounts running.

For various reasons Google sometimes cancels accounts and deletes any content in them. You are not paying and have no come back nor any redress if they do this.

Old January 5th 18, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson

Graham J wrote:

critcher wrote:
wonder what they lost this time?

Are there any free email services that do work reliably?

I am about to make a recommendation to a very inexpert (and
cash-strapped) user ... normally I would suggest paying a reputable
supplier for a domain and and mail hosting, but this user may not want
to fund it.

Google is solid as a rock - never failed in all the time I've had my
accounts running.

For various reasons Google sometimes cancels accounts and deletes any
content in them. You are not paying and have no come back nor any
redress if they do this.

I've never heard of it happening to anyone who behaves themselves and
sticks to their terms of service.

-- Bob Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Manifesto - a statement of what you would do if you had talent, honour and
principles.