Hyperoptic rubbish?

Old December 30th 17, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

Default Hyperoptic rubbish?

Is this company the one run by the school brat?

From a friend:

"I've just spent the past few hours setting up a VPN server to find I
can't do it because Hyperoptic has an IP per 8 houses meaning effectively
a dual NAT. This is madness!"
Old December 30th 17, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Bob Eager wrote:
Is this company the one run by the school brat?

From a friend:

"I've just spent the past few hours setting up a VPN server to find I
can't do it because Hyperoptic has an IP per 8 houses meaning effectively
a dual NAT. This is madness!"

I suspect that they would sell you a single IP if asked - possibly at a
premium price. Maybe even IPv6 ...

--
Graham J

Old December 30th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 15:11:00 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
Is this company the one run by the school brat?

From a friend:

"I've just spent the past few hours setting up a VPN server to find I
can't do it because Hyperoptic has an IP per 8 houses meaning
effectively a dual NAT. This is madness!"

I suspect that they would sell you a single IP if asked - possibly at a
premium price. Maybe even IPv6 ...

What they said was that they'd rent an IP for £5 a month. And the reason
was that they would be rolling out IPv6 soon and it wouldn't matter.

Still like to know if it's our 7 idiot.
Old December 30th 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

Bob Eager wrote:
Is this company the one run by the school brat?

From a friend:

"I've just spent the past few hours setting up a VPN server to find I
can't do it because Hyperoptic has an IP per 8 houses meaning
effectively a dual NAT. This is madness!"

But a VPN has to work through NAT anyway - which will remap the UDP
ports?

So why would it not work through their carrier grade NAT?

I suspect that they would sell you a single IP if asked - possibly at a
premium price. Maybe even IPv6 ...

There is a suport link for static IP but no text or info
https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/posts...-ip-addresses/

What they said was that they'd rent an IP for 5 a month. And the reason
was that they would be rolling out IPv6 soon and it wouldn't matter.

Still like to know if it's our 7 idiot.

ISPreview carried some articles a year ago
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...addresses.html

--
Stephen
Old December 30th 17, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Bob Eager wrote:
Is this company the one run by the school brat?

From a friend:

"I've just spent the past few hours setting up a VPN server to find I
can't do it because Hyperoptic has an IP per 8 houses meaning
effectively a dual NAT. This is madness!"

I suspect that they would sell you a single IP if asked - possibly at a
premium price. Maybe even IPv6 ...

What they said was that they'd rent an IP for £5 a month. And the reason
was that they would be rolling out IPv6 soon and it wouldn't matter.

Still like to know if it's our 7 idiot.

After a recent post, this seems almost certain - he defended the business, although IMO it appears a basket case.
Old December 31st 17, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

On 30/12/2017 16:19, Bob Eager wrote:
What they said was that they'd rent an IP for £5 a month. And the reason
was that they would be rolling out IPv6 soon and it wouldn't matter.

It would still matter.
A VPN server that you couldn't connect to unless you had IPv6 would very
much be a second class, not that useful at all, VPN server.

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old December 31st 17, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:34:10 +0000, Brian Gregory wrote:

On 30/12/2017 16:19, Bob Eager wrote:
What they said was that they'd rent an IP for £5 a month. And the
reason was that they would be rolling out IPv6 soon and it wouldn't
matter.

It would still matter.
A VPN server that you couldn't connect to unless you had IPv6 would very
much be a second class, not that useful at all, VPN server.

Naturally. Hence 'rubbish'!
Old January 1st 18, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

On 30/12/2017 18:14, Stephen wrote:
But a VPN has to work through NAT anyway - which will remap the UDP
ports?

So why would it not work through their carrier grade NAT?

He wants to run a server.
A server behind a NAT needs a port forwarded inwards to the PC on the
LAN running the server.

As far as I know it's unheard of for ISPs using CGNAT to provide any way
for users to do port forwarding.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old January 1st 18, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_3_]

Brian Gregory wrote:

On 30/12/2017 18:14, Stephen wrote:
But a VPN has to work through NAT anyway - which will remap the UDP
ports?

So why would it not work through their carrier grade NAT?

He wants to run a server.
A server behind a NAT needs a port forwarded inwards to the PC on the
LAN running the server.

As far as I know it's unheard of for ISPs using CGNAT to provide any way
for users to do port forwarding.

Don't buy it - cheaper to install a fibre leased line for server
than any other technology. Its $14 for 1gbit 20km symmetric fibre modem and
$600 for 1U fibre routers if the fibre companies use them.
If they don't use such cheap tech, you will meet fraud and rip off install
charges and monthly charges.

Old January 1st 18, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

On 31/12/17 21:16, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:34:10 +0000, Brian Gregory wrote:

On 30/12/2017 16:19, Bob Eager wrote:
What they said was that they'd rent an IP for £5 a month. And the
reason was that they would be rolling out IPv6 soon and it wouldn't
matter.

It would still matter.
A VPN server that you couldn't connect to unless you had IPv6 would very
much be a second class, not that useful at all, VPN server.

Naturally. Hence 'rubbish'!

The reasoning behind this is simple CGNAT will work for most home users
outgoing connections. Then if you complain you cant connect to your
server ,you get " well you are a business users then " and the price is
much higher.

Why do you think that some ISP's change your outgoing public IP address
,there is no good technical reason assuming they have enough public IP
address for their customers to have at least an IPV4 /32.

I do hope the class idiot do not work for Hyperoptic ,to be that
clueless and work in the industry. Mummy and Daddy probably have
Hyperoptic at home.

One last thing while the spirit of the season is still with me please
kill file him then we don't clutter this news group with replys to his
ill informed posts.