VDSL router reccomendations...

Old December 16th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

Default VDSL router reccomendations...

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 20:38:29 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Graham J wrote:
Jim Jackson wrote:
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2
router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people
might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router,
while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more
flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from
where you could admin the router.

cheers
Jim

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Get a Vigor V2860n.

I think I agree, I tried two other routers to replace the PlusNet Hub
1 that came with my FTTC. Neither the TP-Link TL-WR9980 nor the Zyxel
VMG3925 really worked well, they worked but bugs and/or lack of
configurability meant that they really didn't work as required.

I now have a Draytek Vigor 2860n+ (secondhand from eBay, 100) which
was easy to configure as I want and 'just works'. I previously had a
2820n on my ADSL so the configuration was mostly familiar, which
helped.

there is a set of catch22 discussions going on about modem
"conformance" - ie whether some devices dont work, or work but have
sde effects on some aspect of the service, or actually cause problems
for other users on the same DSLAM.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...e-testing.html

it looks like BT Openreach wants to have their cake and eat it.

They insist that devices should be "comformance tested" - which
probably includes specific versions of code or firmware for the DSL
chip and insist they may remove devices that dont work.

But they dont publish the results - that is up to ISPs (and from past
experience the ISPs may only see results from stuff they ask to be
tested).
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...eenablement.do

This also leaves the discussion open to abuse, since posting a few
messages is probably a lot quicker & easier than paying for and
waiting testing even if you pass 1st time....

Some other modem test discussions.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=16857.0

The official requirements are in a published BT doc so it may be worth
asking the manufacturer if they conform before you buy
http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/sins/pdf/498v7p3.pdf

--
Stephen
Old December 16th 17, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Jackson

Many thanks for the thoughts and comments on various VDSL equipment. And
especially the headsup on making sure one chooses "conformant" equipment -
the references were informative. I'm going to get the service going on
switch over day with the supplied box, then in the new year I'll look at
one of the DrayTek offerings. I may be back with more questions!

many thanks
Jim
Old December 18th 17, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark[_7_]

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:05:40 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Roderick Stewart wrote:

I have a Billion 8800NL

I have one of those (now relegated to being a spare) I only used it in
modem mode, with a separate router/firewall/access-point, so I can't
comment properly on the Billion's firewall configuration but it seemed
quite comprehensive.

U use a Billion 8800NL and think it is suitable. I'm not too bothered
with it's firewall capabilities since I use another device for this.

--
insert witty sig here
Old December 19th 17, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 15/12/2017 22:51, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 22:09:43 +0000, Dick wrote:

On 15-Dec-17 7:56 PM, Graham J wrote:
Jim Jackson wrote:

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Yes there is, the TP-Link TD-W9970 is extremly easy to drive and is only
approx £30

A company as incompetent as TP-Link is best avoided.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/tplink-aggressive-ntp

715 megs a month ? Pah ! ****ing in the sea if your household
has any young people !

--
Mark
Old December 19th 17, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

Jim Jackson wrote:

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Yes there is, the TP-Link TD-W9970 is extremly easy to drive and is
only approx £30

A company as incompetent as TP-Link is best avoided.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/tplink-aggressive-ntp

715 megs a month ? Pah ! ****ing in the sea if your household has any
young people !

It's the cumulative effect on the poor NTP servers. That's *one* device.

See also the other link I posted, about the D-Link device that cost some
guy a lot of money.
Old December 19th 17, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

Jim Jackson wrote:

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Yes there is, the TP-Link TD-W9970 is extremly easy to drive and is
only approx £30

A company as incompetent as TP-Link is best avoided.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/tplink-aggressive-ntp

715 megs a month ? Pah ! ****ing in the sea if your household has any
young people !

Oh, I know. I have a 2TB monthly allowance on my connection, and two sons
as well as a daughter-out-law.