VDSL router reccomendations...

Old December 15th 17, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Jackson

Default VDSL router reccomendations...

Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2
router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people
might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router,
while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more
flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from
where you could admin the router.

cheers
Jim
Old December 15th 17, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Jim Jackson wrote:
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2
router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people
might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router,
while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more
flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from
where you could admin the router.

cheers
Jim

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Get a Vigor V2860n.

Or get a Vigor V130 VDSL modem and configure an existing router to talk
to it over an Ethernet port. Note, not all routers can do this! Your
current one won't but at a similar price you can get a TP-LINK TD-W8960N

--
Graham J

Old December 15th 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:56:44 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Jim Jackson wrote:
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v
v2 router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what
people might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2
router, while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable,
i.e. was more flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls
to restrict from where you could admin the router.

cheers Jim

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Get a Vigor V2860n.

I'd say the same. Or, as I have done, a 2860 and a WAP or two.
Old December 15th 17, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Graham J wrote:
Jim Jackson wrote:
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2
router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people
might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router,
while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more
flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from
where you could admin the router.

cheers
Jim

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Get a Vigor V2860n.

I think I agree, I tried two other routers to replace the PlusNet Hub
1 that came with my FTTC. Neither the TP-Link TL-WR9980 nor the Zyxel
VMG3925 really worked well, they worked but bugs and/or lack of
configurability meant that they really didn't work as required.

I now have a Draytek Vigor 2860n+ (secondhand from eBay, £100) which
was easy to configure as I want and 'just works'. I previously had a
2820n on my ADSL so the configuration was mostly familiar, which
helped.

--
Chris Green
·
Old December 15th 17, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 15-Dec-17 7:56 PM, Graham J wrote:
Jim Jackson wrote:

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Yes there is, the TP-Link TD-W9970 is extremly easy to drive and is only
approx £30

Old December 15th 17, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

Jim Jackson wrote:

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Yes there is, the TP-Link TD-W9970 is extremly easy to drive and is only
approx £30

A company as incompetent as TP-Link is best avoided.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/tplink-aggressive-ntp
Old December 16th 17, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:46:27 -0000 (UTC), Jim Jackson
wrote:

Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v v2
router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what people
might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2 router,
while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable, i.e. was more
flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls to restrict from
where you could admin the router.

I have a Billion 8800NL, and in another family household there is a
TP-Link TD-W9980. We've had these for some time and apparently there
are newer versions now, but the ones we have are working well

Both are ADSL/VDSL modems and wireless routers combined, i.e.
everything you'd want in a domestic setting in one box.

The Billion device has an internal aerial and stands upright with
indicator lights to the front, and the TP-Link one lies flat with
indicator lights on the top and external aerials sticking upwards.
They were chosen partly for aesthetic reasons as the Billion one is on
a high shelf and the TP-Link is on a computer desk, so in both
instances their indicator lights can be clearly seen. Otherwise the
capabilities of both boxes appear to be about the same. They both
serve the usual mix of domestic devices - desktop PC, laptop, tablets,
games machines and phones - and both of them just sit there and work.

Both are less expensive than Drayteks.

Rod.
Old December 16th 17, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Jim Jackson wrote:
Hi, I'm moving to FTTC and my new ISP has sent me a Technicolor TG588v
v2 router. I'm a bit disappointed with it, and was wondering what
people might recommend as a reasonably priced alternative. My old ADSL2
router, while pretty cheap (EdiMAX AR-7084A) and more configurable,
i.e. was more flexible at port forwarding rules, and you had controls
to restrict from where you could admin the router.

cheers Jim

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Get a Vigor V2860n.

I'd say the same. Or, as I have done, a 2860 and a WAP or two.

+1 although they are not cheap.
Old December 16th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Jim Jackson wrote:

There's no reasonably priced alternative that is easy to drive.

Yes there is, the TP-Link TD-W9970 is extremly easy to drive and is only
approx £30

.... and is similar to the TD-W9980 (just slower WiFi I think) which
does work but has buggy software which reveals itself as soon as you
try and do anything remotely 'not normal' with the firewall, port
forwarding, etc.

I wanted to run my TD-W9980 with the DHCP turned off as I have a
Raspberry Pi providing DHCP and DNS on my LAN. That meant that the
WiFi on the TD-W9980 didn't work because attempts to connect via WiFi
didn't get DHCP service. The DHCP request *should* have been
broadcast to the TD-W9980's LAN/switch but wasn't. It was blocked by
the TD-W9980's firewall, turning off the firewall allowed WiFi clients
to make DHCP requests but that's hardly a good idea!

--
Chris Green
·
Old December 16th 17, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_12_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

I have a Billion 8800NL

I have one of those (now relegated to being a spare) I only used it in
modem mode, with a separate router/firewall/access-point, so I can't
comment properly on the Billion's firewall configuration but it seemed
quite comprehensive.