Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun

Old December 18th 17, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark[_7_]

Default Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 14:18:39 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 13:09:56 +0000
Graham J wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

[snip]

There we are - on the way to designing the ultimate delivery system
and clear the streets of of all that furniture.

Just need now to deliver spam to the sewage system for recycling.

More seriously - and talking of sewage - our village is suffering
major road works while the water company installs a new public sewer.

The procedure is to cut a deep trench from 3 metres deep down to 5
metres deep and to lay the pipe at the bottom. The chaos and
inconvenience is significant.

Surely it must be possible to use some sort of tunnelling machine for
this work - and surely such a machine should reduce the cost of the
work quite significantly?

So why do they use such an old-fashioned technique?

See or listen to: "The Gasman Cometh" by Flanders and Swann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

Classic.

--
insert witty sig here
Old December 18th 17, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:17:35 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:51:08 +0000, Graham J wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:
On 15 Dec 2017 03:04:25 GMT, 7 wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067

And they got a better speed over 2m than I get via copper over 6
miles.

Now you dunnit.

BT (British Telecum), Openroach and Offcum are going to steal your
idea and install wet strings with repeaters every 2 meters to deliver
superior than copper broadband experience and avoid installing fibre.

It will probably drag on for another 15 years of multi-billion pound
government hand outs while they perfect a krone tool master bation
tool equivalent such a wet string blow job machine to cut and measure
said string length +/- 0.001 mm before installing to avoid
unnecessary use of repeaters every 199.999mm for example.

And they are going to try and make sure it can only be operated by
someone wearing shirt and tie.

Anyone wearing sandals would cause the machine to just melt and fuse
into a heap of junk.

All the water companies have to do is add salt and you can have
broadband down your tap.

The electricity company could provide power that way - connect the live
feed to the water supply pipe and the neutral return to the sewer!

For heating and cooking, they could dissolve natural gas in the water,
also.

Little waterproof capsules could carry letter post (rather like the
pneumatic change & receipt systems you see in some large department
stores).

Do they still do this? I don't recall seeing any of these for about 40
years.

Costco were using them until recently. There are other places too.
Old December 18th 17, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_4_]

On 18/12/2017 16:17, Mark wrote:
Do they still do this? I don't recall seeing any of these for about
40 years.

Hospitals apparently use Lamson Tubes for moving samples around.

There was a good film about them on The One Show a couple of years ago,
they built one in the studio as a demonstration.

Old December 18th 17, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 18/12/2017 18:28, MB wrote:
Hospitals apparently use Lamson Tubes for moving samples around.

Here's an idea. We've got somebody here with a nasty infection, we'll
send his samples to the lab through a pneumatic tube. Then we'll suck
back from the lab to all over the hospital.

I must be missing something...

Andy
Old December 18th 17, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_4_]

On 18/12/2017 20:49, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 18/12/2017 18:28, MB wrote:
Hospitals apparently use Lamson Tubes for moving samples around.

Here's an idea. We've got somebody here with a nasty infection, we'll
send his samples to the lab through a pneumatic tube. Then we'll suck
back from the lab to all over the hospital.

I must be missing something...

Andy

I presume they are in a sealed contained just as they would do if they
were sent by post or courier. I don't think anyone has perfected
sending them by EMail yet.
Old December 18th 17, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Mark" wrote

Little waterproof capsules could carry letter post (rather like the
pneumatic change & receipt systems you see in some large department
stores).

Do they still do this? I don't recall seeing any of these for about 40
years.

Yep my local Sainsbury's uses such a system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_carrier
Pneumatic tube systems are also now used in supermarkets for moving cash in
bulk from tills to the central cash office.
==

--
Mike D

Old December 19th 17, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark[_7_]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:15:15 -0000, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote

Little waterproof capsules could carry letter post (rather like the
pneumatic change & receipt systems you see in some large department
stores).

Do they still do this? I don't recall seeing any of these for about 40
years.

Yep my local Sainsbury's uses such a system

OK. However I would guess that these systems are rare now since shops
deal with less cash and more cards.

--
insert witty sig here
Old December 19th 17, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 18/12/2017 22:05, MB wrote:

I presume they are in a sealed contained just as they would do if they
were sent by post or courier.* I don't think anyone has perfected
sending them by EMail yet.

The container may be sealed, but the system relies on sucking/blowing
air about.

Andy