Gotomypc, remote desktop and other VPNs

Old July 4th 04, 08:59 PM
Sanjay Punjab

Default Gotomypc, remote desktop and other VPNs

I just started a job at a company that has a tight IT policy (most do
these days).
Many websites are blocked including yahoo mail, hotmail and even my
alumni school mail.
We don't have administrator rights on our PCs, so we can't install any
software.
While this is understandable these days, I don't enjoy going to work
each day feeling nanied to death. I am a responsible person who gets
my work done and would like the similar computer conveniences and
freedom I enjoyed at previous companies. I am considering signing up
for a service like gotomypc, where I can "log on" to my home pc from
work and have access to my files and applications. I am looking for
some advice and answers to questions.

#1 Is there a significant delay or lag when accessing a remote pc? Can
you web browse using the browser on the remote pc with realistic
performance?
#2 I have read that gotomypc has an advantage with less restrictions
getting through firewalls, especially companies with tight network
security, how does this compare with other VPN's or similar services?
#3 In regard to security, can my company's IT staff see what I am
accessing on my home PC?
#4 Is $20 a month worth it, or can I get the same performance and
security with other VPNs?
#5 It would be really cool if I can sync my pocketpc with outlook on
my remote pc (home pc), through my VPN with my desktop cradle on my
hostpc (the one in my office).
I am not sure if this is possible.
#6 Is there any way to setup my homepc, so I can send a reboot command
if my homepc locks up? Does gotomypc make it easier to implement such
a feature?