Gotomypc, remote desktop and other VPNs

Old July 4th 04, 08:59 PM
Sanjay Punjab

Default Gotomypc, remote desktop and other VPNs

I just started a job at a company that has a tight IT policy (most do
these days).
Many websites are blocked including yahoo mail, hotmail and even my
alumni school mail.
We don't have administrator rights on our PCs, so we can't install any
software.
While this is understandable these days, I don't enjoy going to work
each day feeling nanied to death. I am a responsible person who gets
my work done and would like the similar computer conveniences and
freedom I enjoyed at previous companies. I am considering signing up
for a service like gotomypc, where I can "log on" to my home pc from
work and have access to my files and applications. I am looking for
some advice and answers to questions.

#1 Is there a significant delay or lag when accessing a remote pc? Can
you web browse using the browser on the remote pc with realistic
performance?
#2 I have read that gotomypc has an advantage with less restrictions
getting through firewalls, especially companies with tight network
security, how does this compare with other VPN's or similar services?
#3 In regard to security, can my company's IT staff see what I am
accessing on my home PC?
#4 Is $20 a month worth it, or can I get the same performance and
security with other VPNs?
#5 It would be really cool if I can sync my pocketpc with outlook on
my remote pc (home pc), through my VPN with my desktop cradle on my
hostpc (the one in my office).
I am not sure if this is possible.
#6 Is there any way to setup my homepc, so I can send a reboot command
if my homepc locks up? Does gotomypc make it easier to implement such
a feature?
Old July 4th 04, 09:18 PM
Richard

I would be very careful about trying to use such a set up, it may mean that
you "go to your PC" full time and never leave home once your service are no
longer required.
It appears likely to be a full on breach of your company policy so on your
head be it, but be very careful!
As regards the other issues/questions, you should consider that the IT
department are likely to be able to log all of your activities so be
prepared for them to know a great deal more of your busines than you know
about theirs. What they chose to do with the info is another issue.
Richard
om...

#1 Is there a significant delay or lag when accessing a remote pc? Can
#2 I have read that gotomypc has an advantage with less restrictions
#3 In regard to security, can my company's IT staff see what I am
accessing on my home PC?
#4 Is $20 a month worth it, or can I get the same performance and
security with other VPNs?
#5 It would be really cool if I can sync my pocketpc with outlook on
#6 Is there any way to setup my homepc, so I can send a reboot command

#1 Is there a significant delay or lag when accessing a remote pc? Can
#2 I have read that gotomypc has an advantage with less restrictions
#3 In regard to security, can my company's IT staff see what I am
accessing on my home PC?
#4 Is $20 a month worth it, or can I get the same performance and
security with other VPNs?
#5 It would be really cool if I can sync my pocketpc with outlook on
#6 Is there any way to setup my homepc, so I can send a reboot command

#1 Is there a significant delay or lag when accessing a remote pc? Can
#2 I have read that gotomypc has an advantage with less restrictions
#3 In regard to security, can my company's IT staff see what I am
accessing on my home PC?
#4 Is $20 a month worth it, or can I get the same performance and
security with other VPNs?
#5 It would be really cool if I can sync my pocketpc with outlook on
#6 Is there any way to setup my homepc, so I can send a reboot command
if my homepc locks up? Does gotomypc make it easier to implement such
a feature?

Sanjay,

I would highly recommend against trying to circumvent your network administrator's security
measures. Not to mention, even if you purchased a service such as GoToMyPC, chances are it very
likely it would not work as intended--that's because your network administrator(s) may have closed
ports on a firewall preventing such a program to work--you're taking a risk, and you're obviously
'going around' your technical staff--not a good idea. As for monitoring your activity, yes--network
administrators can see all kinds of traffic, including which computer you are using a work and what
external computers you are accessing, including the type of traffic, etc.

So are there options? Yes, you can run an FTP server on your home computer, such as GuildFTPd
(freeware). This way you could access your FTP server at home from nearly any computer with an
Internet connection; provided you used the correct user name and password to access your account.
However, your system at work would still need to be configured to permit FTP connections.

I would suggest you relay your concerns to your technical staff or try to find another remote
storage alternative.

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com

#1 Is there a significant delay or lag when accessing a remote pc? Can
#2 I have read that gotomypc has an advantage with less restrictions
#3 In regard to security, can my company's IT staff see what I am
accessing on my home PC?
#4 Is $20 a month worth it, or can I get the same performance and
security with other VPNs?
#5 It would be really cool if I can sync my pocketpc with outlook on
#6 Is there any way to setup my homepc, so I can send a reboot command

Old July 7th 04, 01:27 AM
Hugo Drax

"Sanjay Punjab" wrote in message
om...
I just started a job at a company that has a tight IT policy (most do

Go for it. What is it exactly that you need to do that requires this access
during workhours? Porn? Theft of Intellectual property? etc.. if its
legitimate work related you can request the access otherwise your GoTo MYPC
traffic can be logged and then afterwards you can be fired and/or accused of
trying to steal confidential information.