Comcast 20 megabits?

Old April 29th 15, 09:19 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Fritz Owl

Default Comcast 20 megabits?

When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service? I
always thought those kinds of speeds were only avaialble on their Business
Class service.

The 10-watt USB adapter I have on my laptop connects to whatever unsecured
wireless it can find, and at one Fish and Chips shop on Stockton Blvd in
Sacramento, my laptop uses on Comcast residential connection running an open
WiFi. I was surprised to find that Comcast residential service has 20
megabit speeds. I have always thought you had to get the more expensive
business class service if you wantd that kind of speed. Speedtest shows the
connection speed at about 20 megabits.

The software driver for my USB adaper looks for and connects to whatever
open WiFi it can find.

And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast
residential services.

Old April 29th 15, 11:26 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Bit Twister

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:19:59 -0700, Fritz Owl wrote:

When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service?

When they were seeing customers jumping over to Verizon FiOS to get
faster speeds. Here in Dallas Texas, Comcast/RoadRunner Extreme
package is 30/5 for $78.

I jumped back to Comcast because the 25/25 FiOS went to $87 a month and
Comcast gave me one year $55/mo price. Thinking about going back to FiOS
because Verizion has offered me $30+tax a month for two years.

And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast
residential services.

Running open WiFi or services to the public is a no no on any
residential service for either ISP.

Old April 30th 15, 08:52 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Ken Whiton

*-* On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, at 13:19:59 -0700,
*-* In Article om,
*-* Fritz Owl wrote
*-* About Comcast 20 megabits?

When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service?
I always thought those kinds of speeds were only avaialble on their
Business Class service.

Boy, are you behind the times!!!!! ;-) Comcast has had
residential speeds up to 105 Megabits for a few years now.

The 10-watt USB adapter I have on my laptop connects to whatever
unsecured wireless it can find, and at one Fish and Chips shop on
Stockton Blvd in Sacramento, my laptop uses on Comcast residential
connection running an open WiFi. I was surprised to find that
Comcast residential service has 20 megabit speeds. I have always
thought you had to get the more expensive business class service if
you wantd that kind of speed. Speedtest shows the connection speed
at about 20 megabits.

The software driver for my USB adaper looks for and connects to
whatever open WiFi it can find.

And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast
residential services.

Are you sure that it was residential, and not one of the WiFi
"Hot Spots" that Comcast itself operates, "piggy-backed" on the combo
modem/routers they supply to their customers?

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: L (remove the obvious to reply)