Modem and router recommendations

Old February 12th 15, 10:44 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Jim T.

Default Modem and router recommendations

I'm in the market for a new cable modem, Comcast having recently
increased the rental. I may also want to acquire a router, replacing
the one Comcast has provided (no rent that I can see.) Comments I have
read seem to dislike combos.
Here's what I have:
Computer, now connected directly to the router, but can be wireless.
A wireless printer,
A laptop, wireless but usually close enough to router to use cord
2 Kindles
1 IPAD
1 ROKU3, now connected directly, but seems to work OK wireless. I
think will work at 5Mhz.
1 DVD player, wired capable, but currently disconnected (cord moved to
ROKU)
Will appreciate comments and recommendations-- Cost is a factor!

---

Old February 13th 15, 12:54 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Bit Twister

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 17:44:00 -0500, Jim T wrote:
I'm in the market for a new cable modem, Comcast having recently
increased the rental.

I would think you would start with Comcast's list of modems that they
support. If they don't support what you buy you may not be able to
connect with it.

Old February 13th 15, 01:32 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Jim T.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 07:02:59 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim T. wrote:

Will appreciate comments and recommendations-- Cost is a factor!

Aha. You don't want the units that have value, you want the ones that
don't cost any money.

Good luck.

You're better off continuing to rent from the cable company, because--as
you said--cost is a factor. If anything ever goes wrong, they will
replace their unit. What happens when the units you buy go bad?
OHMIGOD--you'll have to SPEND MONEY for new ones!

Nothing like the good advice you get here.

---