Glad I don't waste 700/year on cable

Old June 4th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

Default Glad I don't waste 700/year on cable

On Jun 3, 11:41*pm, Cable Shill wrote:

Your head is too thick to consider all variables. You want only what
you want, want it cheap and damn the others. There's no way your $700
a year will render any profit for the cable company's efforts.

You're right. You're not getting my $700 a year. I hope you and your
company go bankrupt (like Circuit City did). Poor service begets lose
of business.

And there are no "variables" to consider. Free tv is free tv.
Nothing Comcast cable has to offer can beat that. Even their
internet is overpriced - $60 a month??? Verizon DSL only costs me
$15.
Old June 4th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 4, 1:00*am, David Johnston wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:18:26 -0700 (PDT), SFTV_troy

There are some cities that require a la carte as part of
their franchise, and they charge a mere $1 or $2 per channel added.
For me that would be great because I could get SciFi, USA, and TNT for
a mere $6 a month.

Well no. *You'd still need to pay for the service itself. *

Okay add $5 for the hookup fee. $11 is still a heck of a lot cheaper
than their current price of $60.
Old June 4th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 3, 4:37*pm, WQ wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:12*pm, SFTV_troy wrote:

*(Although to be fair a lot of the increase came from
individual channels increasing subscriber fees from
~35 cents per home to 75 cents per home. *Greed, greed, greed.)

--- See. *That's what I keep telling everybody. *Forced
subsidization..*To think that a lot of people gripe about subsidizing
PBS through taxes and yet think nothing of the junk they're forced to
subsidize if they want cable at all.

Except it's not forced. The cable company voluntarily pays those
subscriber fees; they could drop the channel if they think it's too
much. And of course you voluntarily subscribe to the company; you
could cancel it or drop to locals-only service (~$10 a month).

PBS on the other hand is not voluntary - the money's sucked directly
from your paycheck whether you like it or not.

Old June 4th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
David Johnston

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:26:01 -0700 (PDT), SFTV_troy
wrote:

On Jun 4, 1:00*am, David Johnston wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:18:26 -0700 (PDT), SFTV_troy

There are some cities that require a la carte as part of
their franchise, and they charge a mere $1 or $2 per channel added.
For me that would be great because I could get SciFi, USA, and TNT for
a mere $6 a month.

Well no. *You'd still need to pay for the service itself. *

Okay add $5 for the hookup fee.

Really? You think that would pay the operational expenses of the
company do you?

Old June 4th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 4, 8:35*am, RickMerrill wrote:
SFTV_troy wrote:

I used to watch TCM a lot, but when Comcast moved it from channel 65
to channel 100-something, I lost my ability to view it...

There is an unadvertized special on for a cable box
to replace the channels you used-to-get.

Yes I know and it was advertised repeatedly. Comcast expected us to
rent a digital box for an extra $5/month to get TCM, which we used to
get free with the basic package. Greedy *******s.

Old June 4th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
WQ

On Jun 4, 5:31*pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
On Jun 3, 4:37*pm, WQ wrote:

On Jun 3, 2:12*pm, SFTV_troy wrote:

*(Although to be fair a lot of the increase came from
individual channels increasing subscriber fees from
~35 cents per home to 75 cents per home. *Greed, greed, greed.)

--- See. *That's what I keep telling everybody. *Forced
subsidization..*To think that a lot of people gripe about subsidizing
PBS through taxes and yet think nothing of the junk they're forced to
subsidize if they want cable at all.

Except it's not forced. *The cable company voluntarily pays those
subscriber fees; they could drop the channel if they think it's too
much. *And of course you voluntarily subscribe to the company; you
could cancel it or drop to locals-only service (~$10 a month).

--- Where do you get the idea that the cable companies voluntarily pay
subscriber fees? There's no voluntary at all when they have to pay
for all the cable networks they carry. It's voluntary if they could
decide for themselves who to pay whenever they want to pay them and if
they want to pay them at all while carrying their signals. Even if
they drop a signal that might be popular with viewers in the cable
universe, they'd still have to pay for a less popular signal they'd
replace it with, so there's no voluntary payment on their part, just
as there's no voluntary payment on yours when you subscribe to cable.
It's a system designed to subsidize cable networks that for the most
part have no business being in business because without that forced
extraction of money from you to support them, they couldn't exist.
There's nothing voluntary about anything in that. Of course, you
could decide not to have cable, but that's not the point. The point
is that once you get it, you're forcibly paying for stuff you really
don't want to get the few things you do want.

PBS on the other hand is not voluntary - the money's sucked directly
from your paycheck whether you like it or not.

--- There's a reason why it's called PUBLIC Broadcasting System. Then
again, if you're going to complain about any sucking sounds coming out
of your pocket, direct it at all those companies and banks that got
bailouts. At least PBS is providing some decent documentary, news and
cultural arts programming, not to mention more sensible kids shows.
Old June 5th 09, 12:12 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:06:21 -0700 (PDT), WQ wrote:

On Jun 4, 5:31*pm, SFTV_troy wrote:

PBS on the other hand is not voluntary - the money's sucked directly
from your paycheck whether you like it or not.

--- There's a reason why it's called PUBLIC Broadcasting System. Then
again, if you're going to complain about any sucking sounds coming out
of your pocket, direct it at all those companies and banks that got
bailouts. At least PBS is providing some decent documentary, news and
cultural arts programming, not to mention more sensible kids shows.

If the shows are so good, why can't they support themselves without a
30% gov't subsidy? And it seems that just about any time I go by the
local PBS station these days, they are whining for more...
Old June 5th 09, 01:35 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
$Bill

Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:06:21 -0700 (PDT), WQ wrote:

On Jun 4, 5:31 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:

PBS on the other hand is not voluntary - the money's sucked directly
from your paycheck whether you like it or not.

--- There's a reason why it's called PUBLIC Broadcasting System. Then
again, if you're going to complain about any sucking sounds coming out
of your pocket, direct it at all those companies and banks that got
bailouts. At least PBS is providing some decent documentary, news and
cultural arts programming, not to mention more sensible kids shows.

If the shows are so good, why can't they support themselves without a
30% gov't subsidy? And it seems that just about any time I go by the
local PBS station these days, they are whining for more...

Geez, they don't have commercials to pay for their programming - how
do you expect them to broadcast without some sort of cash inflow ?
They depend on donations from wherever they can get them.
Old June 5th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Thomas T. Veldhouse[_2_]

In alt.online-service.comcast SFTV_troy wrote:
snip

If it is a waste of money as far as you are concerned, then I am glad that you
don't waste your money on it. Too many people waste money on things they
don't use the way it is. It is good that you are fiscally responsible; at
least; on this one point.

Having said that, one might argue that your intent was to actually troll this
group and it appears that you have done that with mixed results. I hope that
your expectations were met whatever your intent.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
Old June 5th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Mike Gibson

"Bill" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 04:12:19 -0700, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:06:21 -0700 (PDT), WQ wrote:

On Jun 4, 5:31 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:

PBS on the other hand is not voluntary - the money's sucked directly
from your paycheck whether you like it or not.

--- There's a reason why it's called PUBLIC Broadcasting System. Then
again, if you're going to complain about any sucking sounds coming out
of your pocket, direct it at all those companies and banks that got
bailouts. At least PBS is providing some decent documentary, news and
cultural arts programming, not to mention more sensible kids shows.

If the shows are so good, why can't they support themselves without a
30% gov't subsidy? And it seems that just about any time I go by the
local PBS station these days, they are whining for more...

I can't remember the last time I watched something on PBS. Not only is
the programming incredibly poor overall, the constant begging for
donations is a deal breaker.

--
Bill

The real kicker is every time they claim they only do so one week a year.
Last time I checked a year was 52 weeks. PBS seems to think a year is 28
days. Big Bird & company promoting same sex unions is not what I would call
quality children's programming. I'm damn tired of hearing that all Muslims
are my friends and it's my fault many of them want to kill me. Force feeding
the Spanish ( Mexican ) language on my children and grand children is
unacceptable. They do not *need* to be able to speak any specific foreign
language and if they want to they can take language classes for the
languages they want to learn without brain-washing techniques.