Glad I don't waste 700/year on cable

Old June 3rd 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Mason Barge

Default Glad I don't waste 700/year on cable

"SFTV_troy" wrote in message
I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Contrast that with over-the-air TV where I get around 25 channels and
hundreds of shows at no cost. Much better deal in my humble opinion,
and for those few shows I don't get to see (like Battlestar Galactica)
I can rent on DVD for cheap. I'm glad I don't waste over 700 dollars
a year on cable.

Cable is good if 1) You can't get decent broadcast reception or 2) If you
watch a lot of tv and have an interest in a lot of shows that aren't
broadcast.

I bet at least 50% of my viewing is on cable. Some of my favorite series
are there. They broadcast the Stanley Cup, Atlanta Braves baseball. Etc.
And there are all these weird little shows that are interesting as hell,
e.g. Whale Wars, which is about to crank up again.

Old June 3rd 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 3, 11:21*am, WQ wrote:

--- $700 a year for 70 channels? *Somehow I must be getting a bargain
at $500 a year for 70 channels - well, actually, more like 60 or so.

I remember when cable only cost $42 a month. Heck I remember when it
used to cost only $30 a month a mere ten years ago, but now it's
doubled in my area. Thanks Comsucks. (Although to be fair a lot of
the increase came from individual channels increasing subscriber fees
from ~35 cents per home to 75 cents per home. Greed, greed, greed.)

Old June 3rd 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 3, 12:17*pm, "Mason Barge" wrote:

I bet at least 50% of my viewing is on cable. *Some of my favorite series
are there. *They broadcast the Stanley Cup, Atlanta Braves baseball.

I used to watch TCM a lot, but when Comcast moved it from channel 65
to channel 100-something, I lost my ability to view it and the whole
cable lineup became rather pointless. Yes I still watched BSG or Monk
on other channels, but it's now cheaper to simply rent those shows on
DVD.

Old June 3rd 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 3, 11:18*am, "QN" wrote:

After the 6 month discount my cable TV cost will become uncomfortably large.
I have been trying to find shows to justify the expense, but it is hard.
I wish I could order a la carte channels.

Me too. There are some cities that require a la carte as part of
their franchise, and they charge a mere $1 or $2 per channel added.
For me that would be great because I could get SciFi, USA, and TNT for
a mere $6 a month.

As for reception, try upgrading to a Channel Master 4228. I have on
setting next to my tv in my living room, and it works great.

Old June 3rd 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
ftran999

"SFTV_troy" wrote in message
I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Contrast that with over-the-air TV where I get around 25 channels and
hundreds of shows at no cost. Much better deal in my humble opinion,
and for those few shows I don't get to see (like Battlestar Galactica)
I can rent on DVD for cheap. I'm glad I don't waste over 700 dollars
a year on cable.

I like you have difficulty finding anything decent on cable. Also with the
exception of the local news and a few shows such as "The Office" I don't
find much stuff intriguing on the broadcast channels either.
I have become very dissapointed in the direction cable television has taken
the past few years. It seems to me that cable channels are getting away
from their original intent. An prime example would be TVland which was
intended to show shows from years ago. Now you have shows like "The Cougar"
and there are plenty of other examples where this whole "reality TV"
nonsense has ruined other cable channels.

Old June 3rd 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
WQ

On Jun 3, 2:12*pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
On Jun 3, 11:21*am, WQ wrote:

--- $700 a year for 70 channels? *Somehow I must be getting a bargain
at $500 a year for 70 channels - well, actually, more like 60 or so.

I remember when cable only cost $42 a month. *Heck I remember when it
used to cost only $30 a month a mere ten years ago, but now it's
doubled in my area. *Thanks Comsucks. *(Although to be fair a lot of
the increase came from individual channels increasing subscriber fees
from ~35 cents per home to 75 cents per home. *Greed, greed, greed.)

--- See. That's what I keep telling everybody. Forced
subsidization. Cable channels couldn't exist without it. Remove the
subsidization and maybe you'd see only the 2 or 3 strongest cable
networks be able to survive on just ad revenue alone and all the other
few hundred channels disappear overnight. And that's how it should be
- survival of the fittest on the basis of ad revenue, not
subsidization. To think that a lot of people gripe about subsidizing
PBS through taxes and yet think nothing of the junk they're forced to
subsidize if they want cable at all.
Old June 4th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Steven L.

SFTV_troy wrote:
I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Contrast that with over-the-air TV where I get around 25 channels and
hundreds of shows at no cost. Much better deal in my humble opinion,
and for those few shows I don't get to see (like Battlestar Galactica)
I can rent on DVD for cheap. I'm glad I don't waste over 700 dollars
a year on cable.

As long as you have a computer and high-speed Internet,
there is also Internet TV. Lots of TV channels broadcast over the
Internet.

You can get dozens of channels from foreign countries, something you
can't even get from your local cable provider (except a handful from
other North American countries). You can watch TV stations from Africa,
Asia, etc.

And soon, the HDMI standard will let you watch HD TV on your PC over the
Internet.

--
Steven L.
Email:
Old June 4th 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Cable Shill

SFTV_troy wrote:

On Jun 3, 12:15*am, Cable Shill wrote:

I'm so glad I don't have to put up with a customer as dense
as yourself, Enjoy OTA, it's made for you.

In what way do you consider my comment, "There was nothing to watch
across 70 channels of cable" a dense comment??? It really isn't.
It's a common observation made, not just by me, but also my friend,
his father, my brother, his wife, and so on.

I guess in your view insulting potential customers is "good service".
I'm glad I canceled my Comcast subscription back in 2002 if this is
the kind of service they provide.

Your head is too thick to consider all variables. You want only what
you want, want it cheap and damn the others. There's no way your $700
a year will render any profit for the cable company's efforts. Be off,
go troll some other newsgroup.
--
"From spongecake to satellites, it's gotta be Krebstar"
Old June 4th 09, 07:00 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
David Johnston

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:18:26 -0700 (PDT), SFTV_troy
wrote:

On Jun 3, 11:18*am, "QN" wrote:

After the 6 month discount my cable TV cost will become uncomfortably large.
I have been trying to find shows to justify the expense, but it is hard.
I wish I could order a la carte channels.

Me too. There are some cities that require a la carte as part of
their franchise, and they charge a mere $1 or $2 per channel added.
For me that would be great because I could get SciFi, USA, and TNT for
a mere $6 a month.

Well no. You'd still need to pay for the service itself.
Old June 4th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
RickMerrill

SFTV_troy wrote:
On Jun 3, 12:17 pm, "Mason Barge" wrote:
I bet at least 50% of my viewing is on cable. Some of my favorite series
are there. They broadcast the Stanley Cup, Atlanta Braves baseball.

I used to watch TCM a lot, but when Comcast moved it from channel 65
to channel 100-something, I lost my ability to view it and the whole
cable lineup became rather pointless. Yes I still watched BSG or Monk
on other channels, but it's now cheaper to simply rent those shows on
DVD.

There is an unadvertized special on for a cable box to replace the
channels you used-to-get.