Glad I don't waste 700/year on cable

Old June 3rd 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

Default Glad I don't waste 700/year on cable

I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Contrast that with over-the-air TV where I get around 25 channels and
hundreds of shows at no cost. Much better deal in my humble opinion,
and for those few shows I don't get to see (like Battlestar Galactica)
I can rent on DVD for cheap. I'm glad I don't waste over 700 dollars
a year on cable.

Old June 3rd 09, 07:15 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Cable Shill

SFTV_troy wrote:

I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, s

I'm so glad I don't have to put up with a customer as dense as
yourself, Enjoy OTA, it's made for you.

As for millions of others . . best value in a variety of entertainment
& education.
--
"From spongecake to satellites, it's gotta be Krebstar"
Old June 3rd 09, 08:06 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Bob[_5_]

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:14:00 -0700 (PDT), SFTV_troy
wrote:

I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Contrast that with over-the-air TV where I get around 25 channels and
hundreds of shows at no cost. Much better deal in my humble opinion,
and for those few shows I don't get to see (like Battlestar Galactica)
I can rent on DVD for cheap. I'm glad I don't waste over 700 dollars
a year on cable.

700 dollars a year is cheap compared to hiring someone to excavate the
huge hill between me and the HD antennas. Then there is dim bulb next
door that planted a tree fence that is now 40 ft. high between me and
the antennas.
Old June 3rd 09, 09:39 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
ravenlynne

On 6/3/2009 4:14 AM, SFTV_troy wrote:
I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Somehow I know mentioning the devil's name would call him.
Old June 3rd 09, 01:52 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Frank

wrote:

[...]

Same problem here. We had to do without cable for several years as we
have all underground services and big clunky thing on roof brought in
mostly fuzzy channels. Now even cell phones, you have to go outside for
clear reception. I got a neighbor on top of the hill that gets along
fine with just antenna but not me.
Old June 3rd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 3, 12:15*am, Cable Shill wrote:

I'm so glad I don't have to put up with a customer as dense
as yourself, Enjoy OTA, it's made for you.

In what way do you consider my comment, "There was nothing to watch
across 70 channels of cable" a dense comment??? It really isn't.
It's a common observation made, not just by me, but also my friend,
his father, my brother, his wife, and so on.

I guess in your view insulting potential customers is "good service".
I'm glad I canceled my Comcast subscription back in 2002 if this is
the kind of service they provide.

Old June 3rd 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
SFTV_troy

On Jun 3, 7:00*am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

Put multiple people in the house, though, and the equation changes. *
If/when you have a wife and children, you will look back at what you
wrote and laugh.

Perhaps but I doubt it. My brother has both a wife and kid, and they
both say they'd cancel the cable if it wasn't for their daughter. I
told them that we grew-up without cable television, and I'm sure the
daughter would survive just fine without it too. I also added that
they can get childrens programming 24 hours a day through Qubo, and it
costs nothing. There's also kiddie shows on PBS and the This movie
channel.

I'm slowly but surely convincing them that eliminating the $700/year
bill is a good idea.

All that being said: *because so much of it is utter crap, the only REAL
way to get your $700 worth is by using a DVR or two.

I have one and used it often back when I had cable. Even now for
broadcast television it's nice to have.

(And with ReplayTV's commercial skip, I don't even have to press a
button--I just don't see commercials.)

Hey I have that same DVR! But my Panasonic model doesn't have the
commercial skip. You have to press a 30-second skip button. Still
nice although I do feel a little guilty "stealing" television. When I
use the fastforward on my VCR I still see the ads - less guilt. ;-)

Old June 3rd 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
QN

"SFTV_troy" wrote in message
I visited a friend this past Sunday. I don't have cable television
but he does, so we talked for awhile and then he turned-on the set.
Flip. Flip. Flip. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 70 channels and
nothing worth watching. Eventually we stopped on a John Travolta
movie, but not for long since we both had seen it multiple times, and
we both agreed it was crap. Flip. Flip. Flip.

I've come to the conclusion that cable tv, like insurance, is a giant
scam to get people to waste their hard-earned money to get almost
nothing in return.

Contrast that with over-the-air TV where I get around 25 channels and
hundreds of shows at no cost. Much better deal in my humble opinion,
and for those few shows I don't get to see (like Battlestar Galactica)
I can rent on DVD for cheap. I'm glad I don't waste over 700 dollars
a year on cable.

After the 6 month discount my cable TV cost will become uncomfortably large.
I have been trying to find cable channel shows to justify the expense, but
it is hard.

Currently, I have trouble with OTA signals, but in several months the signal
should improve as the Sutro tower is upgraded.

I wish I could order a la carte channels.

Old June 3rd 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
WQ

On Jun 2, 10:14*pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
[...]

--- $700 a year for 70 channels? Somehow I must be getting a bargain
at $500 a year for 70 channels - well, actually, more like 60 or so.
Still. But yeah, I was much happier with TV when there was much less
of it and it came through free and without all those annoying station
logos and promo pop-ups all over the place cluttering up what I should
be seeing instead. What irony. One used to always get to see an
entire bug-free screen when TV was free, now one has to pay to see it
get all cluttered up by all sorts of useless junk not related to what
you really want to see.
Old June 3rd 09, 07:16 PM posted to alt.online-service.comcast,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.cable-tv
Frank

QN wrote:
"SFTV_troy" wrote in message
[...]

After your deal runs out, go to the internet, Comcast and current deal
for your area. Call Comcast and tell them you want it. PITA but it
happens.