comcast throttling giganews

Old January 21st 09, 12:31 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Kyle68

Default comcast throttling giganews

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:14:28 -0500, said...

On 15 Jan 2009 11:40:05 -0800, Kyle68 wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:12:47 -0500,
said...

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:56:45 GMT, f/fgeorge
wrote:

Business Class Service
this explains why no throttling or caps.

I dropped Giganews recently, and after shopping a few other providers (Easynews,
Newsguy, Newshosting) I settled on Newsguy. I was getting spotty connection
performance to Giganews through my Roadrunner cable connection, but have seen
quick download speeds through Newsguy.

Depending upon the ISP and how they're throttling your connection, you may want
to try an alternate NNTP port number. The standard port is 119, and you may be
able to bypass an ISP's restriction on that port by using a different number.
Newsguy for example allows you to connect through several ports (8080, 80, 563,
443), and I use the 80 option.

Someone also mentioned concurrent connections, and that's a good suggestion as
well. I was only getting 10 connection through Giganews, and currently get 32
through my Newsguy service. I'm also paying a lot less (Newsguy 60GB / $10.95 -
Giganews 35GB / $12.99), get free SSL and my unused GB's rollover (something
Giganews doesn't do).

Most of the bigger services off free trials, and you may want to check out a few
to see if your dload speeds improve.

one good bit of news is obama's new appointment for the FCC. The woman
is a former law professor who won't tolerate all of the lies and crap
comcast pulls, like filling the hearing seats with comcast employees
in it's first hearings with the bush fcc. I expect comcast will be
broken up like bell tel. this geographical monopoly crap has to end
once and for all.

That is good news, and I agree with your monopoly comments! More consumer
choices will drive these guys to deliver a better product (pricing, quality of
service, etc.) all of which benefits a failing economy. I hope the FCC takes a
look at this sooner rather than later.

Old February 27th 09, 11:39 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
chbartel

On Jan 5, 8:09*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:58:53 GMT, f/fgeorge
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:19:39 -0500,
wrote:

comcast is throttling my giganews server. does anyone have any ideas
if this is permanent, applies only to nntp packets, or how comcast
does this.

IF they really are throttling it is done at the main station and there
is nothing you or I can do about it. Are you sure they are throttling?
Could it be just a slow net and/or a slow connect point? Look here and
then click on the closet to you and you can drill down to see if yours
is slow.http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

no absolutely sure about it. i have 16MBit, and up until about a month
ago, i coudl pull in about 2.2megabytes per. then for about a month i
was downloading some huge files. then one sad day i connected my
newsreader and i could never, ever get past about 1 MB per down, most
of the time dropping into the high K's. it looks like these jackasses
start throttling you and never unthrottle you. i swear that those
people at comcast are lost in space. as with everyone else in the
universe, once FIOS comes to town they hoover all of comcraps internet
customers. I just do not have FIOS yet.

I am certain they are throttling giganews as well.

I have been able to get 1.2megabytes per second for 15 months, just
the past two weeks, it has now dropped to about 900k!! Nothing has
changed on my end.

Maybe it's time to move to Uverse. I told myself as soon as sucky
comcast started this crap I would move to something else.
Here I pay for Comcasts highest level of service, and I am getting
throttled? I will move off Comcast as soon as I can.

Old February 27th 09, 10:54 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Stefan

chbartel wrote in news:0068bc5e-886d-4b71-bbfb-
:

wrote:

[...]

Comcast was recently busted by the FCC for throttling P2P connections, but
they're appealing that ruling, so who knows what they're currently doing
within their network. Cox Communications announced that they're testing a
throttling arrangement in Kansas & Arkansas, but I'm sure it will find its
way to the rest of their network shortly. The following article may or may
not be of interest...

http://www.newsadmin.com/usenet_comm...y_02092009.asp