comcast throttling giganews

Old January 9th 09, 04:06 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

Default comcast throttling giganews

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:05:07 -0600, Bill M.
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 18:27:30 -0500,
wrote:

it depends on how much you download per month, or at least it did.
if all you downloaded in a month was several cd's, let's say about 3
gigabytes per month, with a 250gigabyte cap, comcast wouldn't throttle
you because your d/l is really small.

I don't think there have been any credible reports of throttling on
Comcast in recent years unless you want to count the forged RST packet
issue from last year, but IMO that was too crude to be called
throttling. Prior to the soft 250 GB cap that was recently announced,
the even softer cap was somewhere between 400-800 GB, so by an ISP
yardstick it was pretty generous. Even so, if a person's activity rose
to the level of getting noticed, they still didn't get throttled.
Instead, they would get directly notified and asked to tone it down.

I am not talking about caps, I am refering to throttling.

i have been downloading from
giga,newscene,apn and a few more i forgot for about 10 years now and
of course up until comcast sent out their throtte email last month, i
was never throttled at all and use to pull down binaries at about 2.2
Mb.

Have you noticed a change? I haven't, so I'm curious.

yes, it went from 2.1 megabits down to about 800K

you get throttled when comcast looks in your direction and thinks your
downlaoding has become too large for their taste,

Not true. The system throttles a user's connection if a particular
CMTS port is congested, and if that user has been identified as a
primary reason why. The system will flip a user from the standard
"Priority Best-Effort" traffic (PBE) to lower quality of service (QoS)
"Best-Effort" traffic (BE) for fifteen minutes if they're a major
reason congestion exists.

which is basically the same thing I just said.

although dsl reports
said that comcast now has a full time throttling algorithm in place,
but I don't know how accurate the report is. It seems that comcast
used to keep you throttled, if they had ever throttled you.

That was never true, and also isn't true now under the new system.

you obviously do work for comcast, i suggest that you actually go to
dsl reports and check out the reports on comcast's new algorithm.
I know, 'dls reports' is lying.
since you have indicated you work for comcast, further discussion is
useless.
Old January 10th 09, 12:10 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

Default comcast throttling giganews the official deal

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:19:39 -0500,
wrote:

comcast is throttling my giganews server. does anyone have any ideas
if this is permanent, applies only to nntp packets, or how comcast
does this.

Comcast Internet throttling is up and running
Cunning plan replaces P2P blocking
By Egan Orion
Tuesday, 6 January 2009, 11:08

COMCAST, the second-largest US cable television and Internet
communications service provider, has a new broadband traffic
throttling scheme installed and operating in all of its markets.

The ISP's new regime for restricting its customers' bandwidth
utilisation replaces its former stealthy practice of arbitrarily
blocking subscribers' peer-to-peer (P2P) upload traffic, which was
criticised by the FCC last year after it was exposed by the Associated
Press and others.

Comcast's filing with FCC (PDF) says it has put in new hardware and
software technology at its Regional Network Routers locations to
effect this cunning traffic management plan.

Its network throttling implements a two-tier packet queueing system at
the routers, driven by two trigger conditions.

Comcast's first traffic throttling trigger is tripped by using more
than 70 per cent of your maximum downstream or upstream bandwidth for
more than 15 minutes.

Its second traffic throttling trigger is tripped when the Cable Modem
Termination System you're hooked-up to along with up to 15,000 other
Comcast subscribers gets congested, and your traffic is somehow
identified as being responsible.

Tripping either of Comcast's high bandwidth usage rate triggers
results in throttling for at least 15 minutes, or until your average
bandwidth utilisation rate drops below 50 per cent for 15 minutes.

The Comcast two-tier traffic throttling system enforces different
quality-of-service levels. Internet packets to and from a specific
subscriber are assigned 'Priority Best Effort' (PBE) queueing by
default, and the traffic rate is throttled by switching packets to
lower priority 'Best Effort' (BE) queueing.

Comcast uses a bus analogy to explain how its two-tier traffic
throttling system works:

"If there is no congestion, packets from a user in a BE state should
have little trouble getting on the bus when they arrive at the bus
stop. If, on the other hand, there is congestion in a particular
instance, the bus may become filled by packets in a PBE state before
any BE packets can get on. In that situation, the BE packets would
have to wait for the next bus that is not filled by PBE packets."

According to the company, upstream and downstream traffic is managed
separately, and its router packet queueing increments - the waiting
time between each 'bus' in its analogy - are two milliseconds, or
1/500th of a second.

Comcast says that a throttled subscriber's connection that is forced
into the lower BE quality of service queue "may or may not result in
the user's traffic being delayed or, in extreme cases, dropped before
PBE traffic is dropped."

Thus, Comcast's latest traffic throttling method can lead to transfers
being blocked, too. But only in 'extreme cases' it says, so that's
alright then.

Comcast has also imposed a monthly 250GB bandwidth usage cap on all of
its customers, and it will, after one warning, terminate service for
one year to those who exceed that cap twice within a six-month period.

So you punters who signed up with Comcast as your ISP can be assured
that the company will deliver only about half of the maximum bandwidth
it advertises, on a consistent basis.

L'Inq
DSL Reports
Old January 13th 09, 08:12 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:56:45 GMT, f/fgeorge
wrote:

Business Class Service

this explains why no throttling or caps.
Old January 15th 09, 08:40 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Kyle68

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:12:47 -0500, said...

wrote:

Business Class Service

this explains why no throttling or caps.

I dropped Giganews recently, and after shopping a few other providers (Easynews,
Newsguy, Newshosting) I settled on Newsguy. I was getting spotty connection
performance to Giganews through my Roadrunner cable connection, but have seen
quick download speeds through Newsguy.

Depending upon the ISP and how they're throttling your connection, you may want
to try an alternate NNTP port number. The standard port is 119, and you may be
able to bypass an ISP's restriction on that port by using a different number.
Newsguy for example allows you to connect through several ports (8080, 80, 563,
443), and I use the 80 option.

Someone also mentioned concurrent connections, and that's a good suggestion as
well. I was only getting 10 connection through Giganews, and currently get 32
through my Newsguy service. I'm also paying a lot less (Newsguy 60GB / $10.95 -
Giganews 35GB / $12.99), get free SSL and my unused GB's rollover (something
Giganews doesn't do).

Most of the bigger services off free trials, and you may want to check out a few
to see if your dload speeds improve.

Old January 18th 09, 07:14 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

one good bit of news is obama's new appointment for the FCC. The woman
is a former law professor who won't tolerate all of the lies and crap
comcast pulls, like filling the hearing seats with comcast employees
in it's first hearings with the bush fcc. I expect comcast will be
broken up like bell tel. this geographical monopoly crap has to end
once and for all.
Old January 19th 09, 03:35 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

wrote:

Business Class Service

this explains why no throttling or caps.

Which is why I told you I was giving you my experiences BEFORE I went
to the Business Class! You can quote what you'd like BUT I DID tell
you all of this. Your little snipet above makes it look like you found
something AMAZING and REVEALING! It isn't, it is you trying to make
your point. Face it YOU are being throttled and I am not! Now you can
either snip more of my words to make it sound good for you OR you can
upgrade your service and be done with all of this. Bitch or change,
your choice! Life is full of choices, not all are easy, not all are
free. Stand in the middle of the road and get run over, or move and
live, another choice. Comcast is throttling because they can get more
money for more service. If you continue to pay for what you are
getting they will also continue taking your money. Business is kinda
like that, as long as someone is willing to pay, take their money!!!
Remember the old story about the plumber...customer thought he was
bing overcharged so got an itemized bill. $50.00 charge just for
coming out, $0.10 part, $50.00 for knowing what part and what to do
with it!

before you get hysterical and wet yourself, what in the **** are you
talking about? I didn't say or pass any freaking value judgements on
you, i didn't know i even did. if you are prone to psychosis dude,
leave me out of it. take your meds.
Old January 19th 09, 09:43 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Bit Twister

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:41:11 -0500, wrote:

why are you people so touchy?

I am not "so touchy". You made comments/questions, I responded.

I was TRYING TO FIND OUT what server you were talking about,

Sorry, I missed your question. Looking back through the thread, I can
see why. You NEVER ASKED.

It was Verizion's usenet server.
I only knew of two, both up around Maryland/New York.

so i asked you, and now you unload a ton of crap on me.

You make crap statement/question you get crap responses. Just one example:
"or is this one of 'wired magazines' comcast stealth employees?"

I was told by verizon FIOS was not a wan,

Hmmm, you might find this definition illuminating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Area_Network

so it was not subject to a slow down like comcast, which is a WAN.

Both are WANs. Comcast had problems with their overloaded auth servers
so I added code to my usenet script to watch gateway ping times to
give me a heads up when the gateway and/or news server was slow.

When I first got FIOS gateway response was impressive at under 5
milli-seconds during prime time. As I type this at 2am response is now
$ ping -c1 gw
PING isp_gateway (96.226.25.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from isp_gateway (96.226.25.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=126 time=10.1 ms

As you can see, gateway response time is starting to creep up.

A quick check of my script shows I have set delay threshold alarm for
Verizion's News server at 64 milli-seconds. Speed at this time is

$ ping -c1 news.verizon.net
PING news.verizon.net (199.45.49.11) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from news.verizon.net (199.45.49.11): icmp_seq=1 ttl=251 time=63.1 ms

are you saying that giganews servers or a commercial newsfarm is the
server that is more congested because of FIOS?

No, I was saying Verizon's own Usenet server was getting slower and slower.
You asked why. I was telling you as Verizon added on FIOS customers
we saw slower and slower responses. FIOS just allows us to hit the
server faster and demand downloads faster. That creates more
load/congestion at the gateway serving the news server and an
increased load on the news server.

Verizion's Usenet response time is now quite snappy because they
dropped everything but the big 8 text only news groups and a bunch of
verizon customers have gone to other Usenet servers.

A quick scroll back through the thread indicates you were banging
around on two different themes but was/are trying to put theory on
Usenet servers.

The players in your Who Done It are, your gateway, ISP and server.

Running a ping plot on your gateway would show any gateway congestion.

Doing a few DVD/CD download test should bring to light that your ISP is
throttling your connection.

Once those were ruled out/understood you would then be able to monitor
the news server for throttling which was what caused you to start the
thread.

In the past I have seen servers dynamically throttle users as the
server load increased. Most were by reducing number of simultaneous
connections by a single user. I believe Giganews would throttle any
Comcast connection in the past. That was part the agreement along with
max number of bytes per month.

Giganews offered Comcast customers a slight discount if you wanted to
buy a higher speed/qouta limits.