comcast throttling giganews

Old January 4th 09, 02:19 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

Default comcast throttling giganews

comcast is throttling my giganews server. does anyone have any ideas
if this is permanent, applies only to nntp packets, or how comcast
does this.
Old January 6th 09, 01:09 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:58:53 GMT, f/fgeorge
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:19:39 -0500,
wrote:

comcast is throttling my giganews server. does anyone have any ideas
if this is permanent, applies only to nntp packets, or how comcast
does this.

IF they really are throttling it is done at the main station and there
is nothing you or I can do about it. Are you sure they are throttling?
Could it be just a slow net and/or a slow connect point? Look here and
then click on the closet to you and you can drill down to see if yours
is slow.
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

no absolutely sure about it. i have 16MBit, and up until about a month
ago, i coudl pull in about 2.2megabytes per. then for about a month i
was downloading some huge files. then one sad day i connected my
newsreader and i could never, ever get past about 1 MB per down, most
of the time dropping into the high K's. it looks like these jackasses
start throttling you and never unthrottle you. i swear that those
people at comcast are lost in space. as with everyone else in the
universe, once FIOS comes to town they hoover all of comcraps internet
customers. I just do not have FIOS yet.
Old January 7th 09, 04:19 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:22:25 -0800, "$Bill"
wrote:

wrote:

no absolutely sure about it. i have 16MBit, and up until about a month
ago, i coudl pull in about 2.2megabytes per. then for about a month i
was downloading some huge files. then one sad day i connected my
newsreader and i could never, ever get past about 1 MB per down, most
of the time dropping into the high K's. it looks like these jackasses
start throttling you and never unthrottle you. i swear that those
people at comcast are lost in space. as with everyone else in the
universe, once FIOS comes to town they hoover all of comcraps internet
customers. I just do not have FIOS yet.

Can you D/L other files from other sites at higher speeds ? It could
be the news server itself is the problem.

Did you check your modem to see what it's throttled at ? It might not
be giving you the 16Mb that it should.

no i tested it with stunnel, and tested d/l speed on dsl reports.
accrding to reports I am getting 16MB, (at least close to ny). it's
the not the modem either. I think i read a report on dsl reports that
comcrap's throttling is now 100% everywhere. Maybe if you upgrade to
ultra (22MB), comcast will throttle you down to 300 baud.
Old January 8th 09, 11:17 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:08:47 -0600, Bill M.
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You read it wrong. I don't even know where to start. I guess maybe go
back and read it again.

I'LL TRY AGAIN. can i download from what other sites? http? nntp?
torrent? Binaries? what are you talking about? since all newsfarms are
generally subscription, i can obviously only test one or two, because
i have to pay for them. On the web, it depends on who you are
connecting to, to what the bandwidth is. You ask an impossible
question. I do know it was halved or more, from the same nntp server
farm. How can I check comcasts modem, to see what it is throttled at?
I am unaware of this procedure. Unless it is software diagnostic on an
rca cable modem, I might be out of luck, as i don't want to buy their
modem.
Old January 8th 09, 11:27 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have Comcast, have for many years now, and have never experienced
throttling. I up and sownload several cd's worth of data every month
and have no problems. I can almost always get the 6mb and the boost up
to 12, or 16 or whatever, from most sites over a large downlaod. Now
there are some sites I can not get over 2 or 3mb! But that is the same
on my friends FIOS too. I used to use giganews, comcasts news server,
I have been thru several. I now use EasyNews for all my newsgroup
stuff, yes it is a pay for use service, but I can up and download with
no throttling at all. I use EasyNews because of the retention and the
small amount I have to pay to get it. EasyNews does limit its
uploading to 200 posts in a 24 hour period, but that is not a problem
for me.

it depends on how much you download per month, or at least it did.
if all you downloaded in a month was several cd's, let's say about 3
gigabytes per month, with a 250gigabyte cap, comcast wouldn't throttle
you because your d/l is really small. i have been downloading from
giga,newscene,apn and a few more i forgot for about 10 years now and
of course up until comcast sent out their throtte email last month, i
was never throttled at all and use to pull down binaries at about 2.2
Mb.
you get throttled when comcast looks in your direction and thinks your
downlaoding has become too large for their taste, although dsl reports
said that comcast now has a full time throttling algorithm in place,
but I don't know how accurate the report is. It seems that comcast
used to keep you throttled, if they had ever throttled you. I am using
'you' metaphorically. please, just because you have not experienced
something does not mean it doesn't exist, it jus means that you have
not experienced it.
Old January 9th 09, 03:01 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:50:17 -0600, Bill M.
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Any site that has something you're interested in.

http? nntp?

Yes and yes.

torrent? Binaries?

Yes and yes.

yes, i have tried. it is random speeds from the web, i have tried 3
news servers and the one i have been using the longest is throttled
the most. i have done tests with their support techs and they said it
was comcast as there was no throttling on newserver part.

what are you talking about?

Huh?

since all newsfarms are generally subscription, i can obviously only
test one or two, because i have to pay for them.

Generally true, but most of the majors have free trials, some lasting
as long as 10 days, IIRC, so if you don't mind burning a free trial
opportunity you might consider that. In addition, some of the pay
servers have plans starting at less than $5 a month, so that could be
another approach if you need a longer term test.

i have done that with 3 news servers, all of them get throttled down
after several files are d/l. i have emailed tech sipport at all 3, and
all of them said it was comcast.

On the web, it depends on who you are connecting to, to what the
bandwidth is.

True, but you can almost always greatly improve the situation by using
a download manager that opens multiple concurrent connections.

agent uses up to 10 simultaneous connections

I use
and recommend FreeDownloadManager (
www.freedownloadmanager.org) for
web downloads, and a multithreaded news client like Newsleecher or
Newsbin Pro for Usenet. It's rare these days to encounter a mainstream
website that doesn't allow you to open multiple concurrent
connections, and again, concurrent connections are the key to greater
download speed, whether it be from the web or Usenet.

You ask an impossible question.

I didn't ask any questions in my previous reply.

I do know it was halved or more, from the same nntp server
farm.

Nothing was halved that I'm aware of. Can you be more specific?

how in the hell would you know what my server farm connection
had been changed to. are you psychic? or are you working for comcast?

How can I check comcasts modem, to see what it is throttled at?
I am unaware of this procedure. Unless it is software diagnostic on an
rca cable modem, I might be out of luck, as i don't want to buy their
modem.

Chances are excellent that your modem is throttled to the speed tier
that you're paying for,

thanks for that. that was the first thing i had checked

so that's a good first step. Beyond that, use
the "multiple concurrent connection" approach outlined above and you
should have no trouble filling your download (or upload) pipe. Stay
away from so-called speed test sites, as they don't move enough data
to provide meaningful results.