About cable modem firmware updates

Old February 13th 15, 12:06 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
John Corliss

Default About cable modem firmware updates

Just learned today that I am not allowed to update my cable modem's
firmware. Also, I have no say in whether or not my ISP updates that
firmware!

"It's the standard."
"It's common industry practice."
etc.

Does this business model bother anybody else? Doesn't anybody else see
where this can lead?

What's to stop, say, Arris, from deciding that it's time for SB6141
owners to buy a new modem and in order to force them to do that, release
a firmware update which slowly decreases the modem's functionality until
it quits working?

And if this precedent is established, what about things like "smart tvs"
and other objects connected to the vaunted "internet of things"?

Yep, Joe Blow has owned his refrigerator for two years now. Time for him
to get a new one. ***ZAP*** Refrigerator start cooling less and less
efficiently each day until it doesn't work at all.

First, there was planned obsolescence with cars wherein the
manufacturers deliberately engineered components to wear out much sooner
than they should. Now, if this crap is allowed to continue without being
challenged, the consumer will be allowing manufacturers to remotely
disable equipment and force buying of newer models.

If ISPs want to treat cable modems like they own them, then they SHOULD
own them and the end user shouldn't have to purchase or rent them.

--
John Corliss
Old February 13th 15, 06:37 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
John Corliss

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
John Corliss wrote:

Just learned today that I am not allowed to update my cable modem's
firmware. Also, I have no say in whether or not my ISP updates that
firmware!

"It's the standard."
"It's common industry practice."
etc.

Does this business model bother anybody else? Doesn't anybody else see
where this can lead?

What's to stop, say, Arris, from deciding that it's time for SB6141
owners to buy a new modem and in order to force them to do that, release
a firmware update which slowly decreases the modem's functionality until
it quits working?

dude, that's the cell phone industry model for many years now.

Ever notice your battery life seriously declining right around two years?

I don't have a cell phone. Never have. Batteries have a life span
though. I know the rechargeable ones I use with my camera are retaining
their charge less than when I first got them.

--
John Corliss
Old June 28th 15, 04:58 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
[email protected]

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 4:06:53 PM UTC-8, John Corliss wrote:
[...]

1. in the old days users would load illegal modifications and steal bandwidth, while this does not stop it, it makes it harder.
2. Certain firmwares are required for CERTAIN cmts's which are the cable companies property and not yours, so it is best to let them update the firmware for you so they use the CORRECT one.
3. The modem manufacturer actually works with the cable mso to develop the firmware updates, and last I knew they do not release them to retail purchases anyway.
4. Whats to stop arris fromn killing your purchased modem? The Federal Trade Commission, https://www.ftc.gov/, unless they'd like to stop being allowed to sell their product on US soil. Not to mention how would they prevent killing the MSO's modems they bought from them too, in which case they'd be shooting themselves in the foot becasue I guarantee you its a bigger market than selling them in Best Buy.