Question about changing MAC address

Old September 27th 14, 05:37 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Marco[_2_]

Default Question about changing MAC address

I don't want to use someone else's MAC address. What I'd like
to do is generate a new unused MAC address that I can use with
Comcast. I suppose it may get issued by the cable modem
manufacturer eventually, but until it does, I'd like to use it.
The reason I want to do this is because I've had to replace
several cable modems over the years and I try to buy them cheap
on Ebay. Sometimes Comcast won't let me use a modem I buy
because the previous owner owed money. My preference for a
modem that will let me generate a unique useable MAC address
would be a SB5100. Please let me know if this would be
possible using a jtag cable or some other way. Thanks
Old October 11th 14, 09:21 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Marco[_2_]

On 9/29/2014 9:00 PM, Bill M. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 21:37:50 -0700, Marco wrote:

I don't want to use someone else's MAC address. What I'd like
to do is generate a new unused MAC address that I can use with
Comcast. I suppose it may get issued by the cable modem
manufacturer eventually, but until it does, I'd like to use it.
The reason I want to do this is because I've had to replace
several cable modems over the years and I try to buy them cheap
on Ebay. Sometimes Comcast won't let me use a modem I buy
because the previous owner owed money. My preference for a
modem that will let me generate a unique useable MAC address
would be a SB5100. Please let me know if this would be
possible using a jtag cable or some other way. Thanks

You asked if it's possible. The answer is yes, with a jtag cable and the
proper software. Been there, done that. The rest is up to you.

Thank you Bill M. Can you tell me how to generate a serial
number for
the modem? Is there software or a script that will do this?