Aren't all cable supposed to have back up powers from power outages?

Old May 22nd 14, 10:10 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Ant[_5_]

Default Aren't all cable supposed to have back up powers from power outages?

Hello.

I have my old Ambit/Ubee U10C018 cable modem and network devices
connected to an UPS. When the power goes out in my area like a few days
ago, its Internet service goes out too. I noticed the modem's ready
light goes out so it basically lost connection. Aren't cable lines
supposed to be powered? If not, then how do TWC's digital phone service
work without power since its cable modem has an internal battery?

Thank you in advance.
--
"Are you slower than an ant?" --Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk
movie (English subtitles)
Old May 22nd 14, 04:25 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Winston[_2_]

Ant asked:
When the power goes out in my area like a few days ago, its Internet
service goes out too.

Yes, cable TV and TWC Digital Home Phone service, as well.

Aren't cable lines supposed to be powered?

Not that I've ever heard or seen, nor have I ever seen them have any
sort of battery backup for short term outages.

If not, then how do TWC's digital phone service work without power

They don't.

The only phones that run indefinitely during power outages are the old
copper-wire-from-the-central-office-to-the-home landlines. A close
second is Verizon wireless, because their cell towers have backup
power. [Other cellphone companies may have improved in this regard in
the last 10 years or so; I don't know.]

Here's what TWC's FAQ at
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...g-outages.html
says about their Home Phone service:

----------

I understand that when my power goes out, my Home Phone service will
also go out. What can I do to maintain service in the event of a power
outage?

Time Warner Cable Home Phone is not a self-powered service. Even though
there are no guaranteed methods of supplying backup power during an
electrical outage, we do offer some helpful tips on how to best prepare
for an electrical outage at twc.com/powerbackup.

----------

HTH,
-WBE
Old May 24th 14, 03:01 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Ant[_5_]

On 5/22/2014 8:25 AM PT, Winston typed:

Here's what TWC's FAQ at
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...g-outages.html
says about their Home Phone service:

----------

I understand that when my power goes out, my Home Phone service will
also go out. What can I do to maintain service in the event of a power
outage?

Time Warner Cable Home Phone is not a self-powered service. Even though
there are no guaranteed methods of supplying backup power during an
electrical outage, we do offer some helpful tips on how to best prepare
for an electrical outage at twc.com/powerbackup.

Thanks. That's a bummer. I was expecting cable's digital phone service
to be like old fashion copper wire phone services.
--
"... Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't
want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with
our antennae bouncing off one another, continously on ant autopilot,
with nothing really human required of us. 'Stop.' 'Go.' 'Walk here.'
'Drive there.' All action basically for survival. All communication
simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite
manner. 'Here's your change.' 'Paper or plastic?' 'Credit or debit?"'
'You want ketchup with that' I don't want a straw. I want real human
moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give
that up. I don't want to be ant, you know?" "Yeah... yeah I know. I
don't want to be an ant either. Thanks for kinda, like, josteling me
there... I've been kinda on zombie autopilot lately. I don't feel like
an ant in my head, but I guess I probably look like one..." --Waking
Life movie
| |o o| |
Old May 24th 14, 04:38 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Retired[_4_]

On 5/23/14, 10:01 PM, Ant wrote:
On 5/22/2014 8:25 AM PT, Winston typed:

Here's what TWC's FAQ at
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...g-outages.html

says about their Home Phone service:

----------

I understand that when my power goes out, my Home Phone service will
also go out. What can I do to maintain service in the event of a power
outage?

Time Warner Cable Home Phone is not a self-powered service. Even
though
there are no guaranteed methods of supplying backup power during an
electrical outage, we do offer some helpful tips on how to best prepare
for an electrical outage at twc.com/powerbackup.

Thanks. That's a bummer. I was expecting cable's digital phone service
to be like old fashion copper wire phone services.

Now you know one reason VOIP service costs less than POTS service. And
a side effect of de-regulation.
Old May 25th 14, 01:00 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG

In article , Retired writes:
On 5/23/14, 10:01 PM, Ant wrote:
[...]

As a victim of hurricane Sandy who spent weeks without electrical power, I
can tell you that the cable system ran here for about 1/2 day after all of
the electric power was taken out. There are battery backups for the local
cable company's kit but not enough to maintain the system for long. This
gave many false hope the morning after that both electrical and communica-
tions would be quickly restored.