Satellite or cable service for local TV broadcasts?

Old February 18th 12, 06:08 PM posted to alt.cable-tv,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,rec.video.satellite,rec.video.satellite.misc
Ant[_5_]

Default Satellite or cable service for local TV broadcasts?

On 2/18/2012 9:54 AM PT, Bill M. typed:

I could say to get cable Internet for $53 and split the coax, run it
to the TV. See what comes in but more and more cable systems are
encrypting everything.

You'll most likely only get some of the local channels via clear QAM,
so your TV(s) need to have a QAM tuner.

Hmm, how can I check if these old CRT TVs have them? I know my Sharp 20"
CRT TV, from 1996, has cable analog and antenna support with its coax
input (yep, only one port). I also have an old Toshiba VCR from dotcom days.

Your old TV's and VCR's don't have QAM tuners, but new HD TV's do.

Ah. I assume those simple/cheap OTA DTV tuner boxes don't as well.
--
"Look not to the windmill's turning while the ant still burrows." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old February 18th 12, 06:09 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,rec.video.satellite.misc
Ant[_5_]

On 2/18/2012 9:53 AM PT, Patty Winter typed:

You'll most likely only get some of the local channels via clear QAM,
so your TV(s) need to have a QAM tuner.

Hmm, how can I check if these old CRT TVs have them?

They don't. QAM tuners are in digital TVs. (Although as Bill noted,
not in all of them.)

Given the information you've posted (repeatedly) in these groups and
others, it's obvious that your new home will not get OTA without an
impractically tall antenna, so just bite the bullet and do what we've
all suggested: figure out which international channels you really want,
check the channel lineups for the cable and satellite companies that
are available at that location, and subscribe to the service that will
give you those channels. If you're lucky and the channels you want are
available from more than one provider, then you can compare prices on
their websites and take the cheaper/cheapest one.

OK and thanks. So, OTA is definitely out.
--
"After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old February 18th 12, 07:25 PM posted to alt.cable-tv,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,rec.video.satellite,rec.video.satellite.misc
Ant[_5_]

On 2/18/2012 11:09 AM PT, Bill M. typed:

You'll most likely only get some of the local channels via clear QAM,
so your TV(s) need to have a QAM tuner.

Hmm, how can I check if these old CRT TVs have them? I know my Sharp 20"
CRT TV, from 1996, has cable analog and antenna support with its coax
input (yep, only one port). I also have an old Toshiba VCR from dotcom days.

Your old TV's and VCR's don't have QAM tuners, but new HD TV's do.

Ah. I assume those simple/cheap OTA DTV tuner boxes don't as well.

Nope, those are ATSC tuners, not QAM. Both are digital, but
incompatible with each other. Many/most new TV's can handle both.

Thanks again.
--
"Ants never sleep." --Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet
| |o o| |
Old July 19th 12, 06:25 PM posted to alt.cable-tv,comp.dcom.modems.cable,rec.video.cable-tv,rec.video.satellite,rec.video.satellite.misc
Alan Justice

Default Satellite or cable service... Part 2

I currently have Charter cable. I miss a lot of shows because of a poor or
nonexistent signal. They used to credit my account for the problems, but
not anymore. I've had to go to a public high speed internet so I can watch
the misssed ones online.

So I'm looking into satellite. I called DirecTV and they would not tell me
which channels they carry. They would only telll me if I guessed each one.
They would not send a list. So I hung up.

I talked to Dish and it was so much easier. So last week I called Dish to
sign up and it turned out they lie in their ads: The Hopper, their DVR, is
not free. They try to double talk to make me think it is. So I asked for
the supervisor who also confirmed their lie. So I hung up. (I went down to
a local telephone office which offers Dish, and they said, "yes, they lie.")

I found a web site that showed all channels for each tier for the 2
satellites. I called back DirecTV to ask their prices and they refused to
tell me. I had to give them my credit card number so they could do a credit
check first. So I hung up.

Apparently their are no good options to do business with an honest and
professional company.

--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hello.

I don't know if this is the proper newsgroups to ask this. In a few
months, my family and I (three people) will be relocating/moving to
another house. We won't be able to get free over the air (OTA) due to a
small mountain/giant hill blocking transmitters for Los Angeles/L.A.
broadcasts. It is impossible to get a very high antenna (would require a
high rise building height with twenty floors -- 193 or more feet for the
local English stations in green color according to TVFool.com!). So that
means we will have to order cable or satellite TV for TV feeds. Since we
don't watch many movies and stuff (we just rent or stream), we will
still keep it simple and basic. Hopefully, cheap/low cost. Basically, we
want all local broadcast channels including foreign ones (asian like
Chinese).

We are definitely ordering Time Warner Cable (TWC)'s Road Runner
Internet service since that is the only fastest and cheapest ($52.99 per
month for standard package) since nothing else and/or good is available
(no DSL, no FIOS, satellite and dial-up sucks and are too slow).

TWC sales said for monthly payments as of Christmas break of 2011:
$24.50 (basic/local broadcast TV)
$52.99 (regular Internet package)
$10 DVR rental (heard cable DVRs suck? Or should we get our own
[however, I can't find one that doesn't require subscriptions like
DTVPal and ChannelMaster DVRs]
$49.99 for installation charge

Total = $84.79 per month for service (without $49.99 for installation
charge).

Bundled packages and a single bill would be nice too if it is cheap/not
much different, but if satellite TV service is a lot cheaper than we
will get it. However, it will suck if the whole cable goes out/down,
then no Internet and TV.

I read and heard that satellite TV services for TV stuff can be cheaper
and better quality. We will also need to get a new DVR (we still have
VCRs, but why?) to replace DTVPal DVR (only for OTA). There are several
satellite TV services like EchoStar, DishTV, DirecTV, etc. Which ones to
get? We have never owned satellite TV services before so this will be
new to us. Also, we still use old CRT TVs but we will get HDTV ones
later on when they break/die.

Thank you in advance.
--
"The tiny ant dares to enter the lion's ear." --Armenian
| |o o| |

Cable Broadband Internet Signal loss from serial RG59 cabling - RFamp recommendations? drydem Cable Modems 11 January 9th 09 02:11 AM
Internet TV Mihaius Cable Modems 1 October 3rd 07 06:30 PM
Digital Subscriber Line (xDSL) FAQ v20010108 [email protected] General DSL & broadband 0 February 18th 06 05:27 AM
Digital Subscriber Line (xDSL) FAQ v20010108 [email protected] General DSL & broadband 0 January 18th 06 05:49 AM
Digital Subscriber Line (xDSL) FAQ v20010108 [email protected] General DSL & broadband 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM