modem on battery backup

Old August 29th 11, 01:15 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
me again

Default modem on battery backup

All telephone modems have (by law) a battery backup for the telephone, but NOT for
the internet. "Ah ha", you think, "I'll just put the modem on a UPS!" But it turns
out that the "telephony modem" will not charge the battery fully if the power source
is on (some) UPS.

Has anyone found a way to keep the internet connection going during a power outage
and STILL charge the telephone battery backup?
Old August 31st 11, 01:27 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
me again

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
In , less
says...

All telephone modems have (by law) a battery backup for the telephone, but NOT for
the internet. "Ah ha", you think, "I'll just put the modem on a UPS!" But it turns
out that the "telephony modem" will not charge the battery fully if the power source
is on (some) UPS.

Has anyone found a way to keep the internet connection going during a power outage
and STILL charge the telephone battery backup?

I don't see how it could tell the power came from a UPS or the powerline
unless your UPS doesn't have a decent waveform that it can somehow
detect. To be honest, the wall-warts these things use shouldn't notice
the difference.

I do believe the "party line" is (somehow) correct as I have had the modem connected
to a UPS for YEARS with 2 batteries in the modem and the ride-through should have
been close to 8 hours but it only lasted 1 hour. Furthermore, after power restored
the Comcast callcenter said my battery was showing 100%.

I have heard before (but remember little) that one UPS plugged into another UPS is a
bad idea because of the nature of the waveform created by #1 is analyzed by #2.

I suppose the solution is simply to remove (both) batteries from the modem and rely
solely upon the UPS!

Old August 31st 11, 07:06 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
me again

Bill M. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:27:18 -0400, me again
wrote:

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
In , less
says...

[...]

After "years" of use I would suspect that the battery is not working
at its full potential any longer. That might explain why it lasted 1
hour instead of 8.

Now that it has been on "line" for a couple of days, maybe I should just pull the
plug and see how long it lasts. Wait, that would disconnect my internet!

Old September 1st 11, 09:34 AM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
Adam H. Kerman

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
says...

I do believe the "party line" is (somehow) correct as I have had the
modem connected to a UPS for YEARS with 2 batteries in the modem and
the ride-through should have been close to 8 hours but it only lasted
1 hour. Furthermore, after power restored the Comcast callcenter said
my battery was showing 100%.

What model modem (or actually, eMTA) is it? Does it actually have 2
batteries? Do both work? I thought most just had one supply that ran
both the phone and internet. It's a bit odd that it may have 2 separate
supplies.

In the eMTAs I've had from Comcast, the internal battery operates phone
but not Internet. They have room for two batteries, typically, but
Comcast supplies one. I've never had two models that share the same
battery.

UPS would be the only solution to maintain Internet access.
Old September 1st 11, 10:20 PM posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable
me again

Bill M. wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:06:24 -0400, me again
wrote:

Bill M. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:27:18 -0400, me again
wrote:

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
In , less
says...

[...]

People have been known to survive short periods of time without
Internet, so it's not as risky as it seems.

Surely you jest!